The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM

taltal0n is on a distinguished road
Default what wire is used to tie the bait ?

I want to make my own flyfishing baits .
what kind of wire do they use to tie the baits , it it sticky one ?
does it has wax on it ?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: what wire is used to tie the bait ?

Huhhh?

You want to rephrase that question???

Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltal0n View Post
I want to make my own flyfishing baits .
what kind of wire do they use to tie the baits , it it sticky one ?
does it has wax on it ?
Hi taltalOn,

Your post is confusing to us as fly fishers don't use baits like bass fishers. Are you asking about tying flies? This is your first post and a little more information would be helpful. Let us know what experience you have fly fishing. Please be more specific about your question. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:21 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

No wire, we use thread to hold it all together in most cases. May i suggest buying a book for beginners. Fly Tying for Beginners by Peter Gathercole is a good start.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 AM

well...first of all thank you all for your answers .
and yes , I ment to the thread that you use to tie flies .
I saw this kind of thread on the internet , I saw also that he's with wax (?) - that's how it stick all together .
I live in israel, so I have a problem to get this thread, unless I'll buy on ebay .
I'm looking for an alternative for this thread , is there ?
I have experience with fishing, but not in this kind of fishing, I'm a beginner .
I collect the information from the internet (videos, forums...) and tv shows .
there are'nt so many places here , in israel, for fly fishing, but I want to try it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi taltalOn,

Your post is confusing to us as fly fishers don't use baits like bass fishers. Are you asking about tying flies? This is your first post and a little more information would be helpful. Let us know what experience you have fly fishing. Please be more specific about your question. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm not fully clear on whether you are interested in getting into fly tying along with fly fishing, or just one of those two hobbies. It is very possible and commonly done to just buy the flies you will fish with, thus eliminating the need for materials to tie your own flies.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 AM

I want to make my own flies , it's part of the fun .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'm not fully clear on whether you are interested in getting into fly tying along with fly fishing, or just one of those two hobbies. It is very possible and commonly done to just buy the flies you will fish with, thus eliminating the need for materials to tie your own flies.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ok then, you will need good thread then. You can probably get by with all nylon sewing thread, if you can find some in the proper thickness. Wax on the thread isn't really necessary unless you want to apply dubbing to the thread, for trout-type flies.

It sounds like your best bet might be to order a fairly comprehensive tying kit, so you wouldn't have to be paying freight for multiple small packages, and also worrying about them all getting cleared through customs individually.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Ok then, you will need good thread then. You can probably get by with all nylon sewing thread, if you can find some in the proper thickness. Wax on the thread isn't really necessary unless you want to apply dubbing to the thread, for trout-type flies.

It sounds like your best bet might be to order a fairly comprehensive tying kit, so you wouldn't have to be paying freight for multiple small packages, and also worrying about them all getting cleared through customs individually.
Good advise! Taltalon, sounds like a kit would be your best bet.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*