The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Many Fly Boxes

How many fly boxes does everybody own and what make and model is your favorite?

Being a noob her I only have 2 boxes and both are the cheap $3.00 plastic variety. Been cruising Ebay for something nicer but haven't found the right one.

Gary, I will be surprised if anyone even comes close to your hoard!

Dave
Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes

Hi Dave,

I have 2 main fly box, (one medium size for dries and one large size for nymphs and streamers)

I'll buy 2 smalls ones for my chest pack. Now, I have only waterproof fly box, very good and usefull.

You can buy it at Allen, Fishwest ot Theflyshop (Redding), for less than $15.

Ben
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Gary????

ARFE
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I like the lightest I can find. So I have mostly foam boxes, except for a bunch of little "one week pill boxes" that I use for some nymphs and small dries.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Oh boy, simple answer is a whole bunch. I have boxes of flies to fish from trout to salmon, steelhead, tarpon, snook, bonefish, smallmouth, etc.... My favorite are some of the C&F boxes and the old school Myran clear plastic boxes. I own a couple Wheatly boxes, theyre nice but not the only good choice out there. Basically, I look for simple features, quality closure and reasonable price. Many of my big fly boxes are standard bass fishing boxes that you might use for jerk baits. These really work great for the big 8,9,10wt flies when I'm in a boat. My biggest recommendation for trout flys is to keep it simple and non distructive on your flys. As examples-'those Wheatly boxes with all those little hinged lids are cool but a pain and many boxes can smash down hackles on drys.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Way too many (not)...Myran, Wheatley, CF, DeWitt, Meiho, Orvis...these are some of my nymph and dry fly boxes...I have always favored Richard Wheatley boxes:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-18-2011, 01:39 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

One nymph/wet box, 1 dry fly box, 1 terrestrials box, 1 wooly bugger box, 1 small streamer box, 1 big streamer box, 1 really big streamer box, 1 crayfish box, 1 panfish box, 1 carp box, 1 gar box, 1 bass bug box. I think that's about it...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Good one David, way to bring out the hoarders!

I carry 3 boxes currently:
1. small, light foam box - caddis. If you want light and functional, I recommend these boxes, I carried the same for about 8 years, that brought the price down to...I don't know, basically free for the number of days used. They have magnets on the corners, float and are weightless.

2. small, two-sided, slit foam box with clear plastic lids from SA. I like these boxes a lot, too. This little box actually has three "pages" for flies, the middle sleeve plus the lid of one side that I fill with wet flies. This is my mayfly box.

3. a large CF nymph box, one side with compartments one side with slit foam rows. This is also a very versatile box. The compartments carry large dries i.e. hoppers, stimis, ect. plus small streamers and big nymphs. The slit side carries nymphs. These are expensive though at ~$50.

Forgot 4. a soft streamer wallet that disappears anywhere in the pack.

I think the best boxes for the money are the Scientific Angler water proof line. I haven't gone so far as the "X System" of interchangeable pages (seems like gimmick). Slit foam took a long time to get here, and I'm glad it did. They are plastic, light, the float and seal shut. They are a very functional, inexpensive version of the C&F boxes. And they come in a variety of sizes and configurations and are color coded. Check em out.

I highly recommend them after searching for the ideal box for a long time.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:06 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I have two main boxes in my vest, dry flys and wet/nymphs, oh then there are the other two little ones for the tiny midges and smaller drys, oh then there is one at the tying desk and then there are the ones in the shed of years gone by, back ups ya know you can never have enough back ups, then there are the others in the.....well you get the idea.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I have quite a few, but all I really use now are the SA boxes. One for nymphs & wet flies, and one for streamers. I don't fish dries very often, but usually they are really small flies that fit in the nymph box.

I do think I will look at one of the really thin boxes for nymphs though.

Apparently you can never have too many fly boxes......