The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM

nathans_dad is on a distinguished road
Default Ok, I'm hooked!!

Just got back from my first fly fishing experience. I won't call it an expedition because it was not nearly that grand, but it sure was fun.

I took the kids up to Broken Bow, Oklahoma to check out things there. I decided to take up fly fishing a few months ago as a way to get out and away from the stress of city life. We camped at Beavers Bend Park and had a blast. I was only able to fish this morning and I didn't catch a thing. I did have a rainbow on at one point but I got too excited about it and was too aggressive. He got off the hook.

I was amazed at the beauty and tranquility of the river. The cool rushing water, blue skies above, and hills in the background were worth the trip all by themselves. Once I started fishing, I found myself just getting lost in the activity. Trying to find the rhythm of the cast, trying to get the fly to exactly where I wanted it (and not succeeding...); it was all almost mesmerizing. I met a couple REAL fly fishermen, guys that knew what they were doing and were catching fish! One guy was INCREDIBLY helpful, he showed me what tools I should buy and even set up my line for me, tying on new tippet, rigging up his favorite subsurface fly with a strike indicator and then showing me exactly where in the river to cast for the fish. Amazingly nice guy. He said he caught somewhere around 20-30 fish that morning further down the river. Using his advice I was able to get a rainbow on the hook but couldn't land him.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say that the Lower Mountain Fork river near Broken Bow, Oklahoma is a really great place to fish! I'll be going back again soon.

Happy fishing!

Last edited by nathans_dad; 09-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Ok, I'm hooked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans_dad View Post
I was amazed at the beauty and tranquility of the river. The cool rushing water, blue skies above, and hills in the background were worth the trip all by themselves.

that is a major part of why we do what we do.
welcome to the forum.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Yeah that is probably the major reason for me, welcome to a life of natural enjoyment.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard...Great story too, I hope to be reading more from you in the near future.

The Mountain Fork is indeed a wonderful place. River fishing the Kiamichi Mt area since I was 6 since, it has now become a cherished memory.

Dave
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Hello Nathan's Dad
Broken Bow has been one of my favorite fly fishing spots, and I have fished there about four years. If you want to know more about fly sections and what have you, pm me. I am not a guide but a regular guy who became addicted to fly fishing. But like you said, I love the nature around Beavers Bend.

I am glad that you already met some of those helpful guys. You will find more friendly guys in the future. Hope that I see you in the river.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hope you see a lot more strikes and plenty of fish landed, but most importantly, hope you enjoy the new hobby!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the addiction! There is nothing like it! I love taking it all in and sitting on a rock drinking a hot cup of coffee. Love to see the fly floating in that perfect drift, see the splash, feel the tug and fish on! Just nothing like it!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As a fellow addict let me welcome you to the forum. By the way it does not lessen over time. I have been an addict for more than 40 years.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans_dad View Post
One guy was INCREDIBLY helpful.......
You'll find that that's the norm rather than the exception. Fly fishermen as a rule are very eager to welcome newcomers into the fold.