The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default How do you repair Male Ferrule Scratches?

I noticed that there are several scratches on male ferrule of my graphite rod. What is the best way to address this issue?
I read somewhere that I can use a furniture polishing product.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you repair Male Ferrule Scratches?

Use parafin wax. It will help stop further scratches, makes the parts seat more securely, but as for the scratches that are already there, you will have to live with them as far as I know. Look in the female end and make sure it is clean so you don't have something in there making new ones.

I use wax every time on my spey rods just because the forces exerted on the parts are far greater than in single hand rods. I have even started doing it on single hand rods where I am doing long periods of long casts. Stuff can come loose and break. Wax makes a slight mess but it beats a wrecked rod.

I would not use polish as it will lubricate the parts (or at least can) and end with a busted rod. Don't do it, and if you already have use alcohol and remove it.
Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Furniture polish is good for cleaning your rod.
Candle wax on the male ferule will keep the sections from slipping apart which causes the scratches (and worse).
Deeper scratches on the male ferule can be reinforced with super glue

I always blow into the female end of my ferules when I put the sections together to dislodge any grit. That along with the wax plus a regular cleaning will head off most problems.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Once again, keeping your rod in the case when not actually being used is the best maintenance!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Diver Dan and Riptide nailed it. If your male ferrules are scratched, consider them a badge of honor, I know of no way to get rid of them. Take some compressed air and blow out the female end to get any remaining grit out. Furniture polish to clean them in the off season.

I'm new to the two handed game and can see that I'll need to wax the ferrules. Man does that rod have some crazy movement when casting.