The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 PM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road
Default The Best Fight

I had been nymphing a favorite pool since the sun came up with only a few hits and no luck. After lunch the sun was beating down as I watched a hatch begin. A few rises and I was on my feet tying a small parachute. I get quite a few looks but no action on my dry. As the hatch dies down I switch to an emerger pattern that I touch only the tips of the hackle with flotant so that the body floats in the film but then soon sinks. I wait and watch a few casts float by when BAM! I watch as the rainbow explodes from water, I doubted at first that is was for my fly but I pull back and feel the hook set an pull this airborn fish towards the water. This is the first time I have seen a trout do this being that it is my first season out. Amazed I hold on tight with my five wt in a good bend as the fish takes some line. Two more times he explodes from the water, making quite a scene for the fellows downstream. I have not had such an exciting fight from a trout yet, and even though it was not the biggest rainbow, it put up the best fight.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Best Fight

Way to start (?) the season in style! Great colors on the fish and in the photo. What do you think of the Lamson reel?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Best Fight

Great fish and thanks for sharing! Stories like this are what makes me come back ever day!