The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Can I fish a midge hatch with a 9 weight?

......sorry BigCliff, I had to..
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I fish a midge hatch with a 9 weight?

I think you can in the deep South where the midges get to be the size of possums and start carrying away small children/infants.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Yes you can. You wont catch anything...but you can. Try Dynamite...less obtrusive to the trout and more effective!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
......sorry BigCliff, I had to..
HAHAHA! I really did LOL on that one.

I guess you assumed correctly that you had to go big to get me to click on one of these.

Touche'

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if you have a legitimate shot at a 40 pound brown, you may want a nine! milt.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Actually, if you have a legitimate shot at a 40 pound brown, you may want a nine! milt.
Nope. You best not fish midges with anything heavier than 5x, and a 9wt, is a great way to snap 5x REAL quick.

Due to the tippets you need to fish with them, anything over a 6wt won't do midging well at all.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Nope. You best not fish midges with anything heavier than 5x, and a 9wt, is a great way to snap 5x REAL quick.

Due to the tippets you need to fish with them, anything over a 6wt won't do midging well at all.
since we'll all high
one word, fiberglass