The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 PM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road
Default What do you wear to hide from trout?

Just curious what other people wear to avoid spooking trout. I typically wear darker clothes and hat to avoid spooking the fish. I am curious if anyone else has additional ideas.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What do you wear to hide from trout?

King,

When I fish small creeks I wear 18" Lacrosse rubber boots and woodland camo on the bottom and Either a Filson fishing jacket or woodland camo jacket on top. The hat is usually a olive green cap.

Larger streams, the waders are kinda khaki and olive and I wear the same jacket unless it's raining cats & dogs , then my jacket is gray.

By the way all my lines are gray except the Spey line but I almost always have a 15' dark brown sink tip and an 8' leader on it. Due to the nature of the Spey cast spooking fish with false casts over their heads is not a worry here. Don't forget that bright line of yours.................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Waders are a Khaki color, camo hat and camo long sleeve shirt. I should get plain black polarized glasses but haven't yet. My Costa's sunglasses are mirrored which I now think could be a downfall up close. I don't always fish working upstream.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road

I look like Rambo when I go fishing! I use face paint in black and olive drab and use ammo belts to ward off any fisherman that thinks they are going to take my prime fishing spot!

In all seriousness I have read that olive is the best color to wear to avoid spooking fish. Just remember you could wearing the best camo/color in the world and go trucking through the stream like a ape to a banana and the fish will be long gone! Don't fish for trout however the crystal clear water with smalllmouth creates the same issue.

Ard that is a great point about the bright line.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

head to toe in tinfoil.....just neutral colors that blend in..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I wear natural gear camo, and dark colors otherwise.
This winter I tried winter camo, dark stands out against the snow.
Nothing shiny on my person at all.
100% fish nynja if you want to see big fish around here (Looked for, cannot be seen, listened for cannot be heard, etc.....)
Which of course, I do. I do, I do.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think trout are very smart, so I go all the way:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wear a dark colored plaid shirt/jacket.
Breaks up the pattern but you don't look like you just stepped out of a Rambo movie
Old 06-23-2010, 01:32 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

out west, I wear more the desert tan or marpat (new marine cammo pattern) when around the dry grassy plains areas, midwest i use more a standard military camo pattern.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I wear a dark colored plaid shirt/jacket.
Breaks up the pattern but you don't look like you just stepped out of a Rambo movie
It's amazing how a post from another member can jog my mind! I forgot to mention the face paint and headband that I frequently employ. Remember if you get caught flatfooted you can simply coat your body with mud and stick vegetation to yourself to produce that Gillie look we are all going for.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I think trout are very smart, so I go all the way:

Click the image to open in full size.

Outstanding Frank!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;