The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 AM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road
Default A Day To Remember

What a great day on the river. It began as any other sunday, A cup of tea while I say high to the sun. 8 30 and I arrive at a favorite local spot.
I have been working on my nymphing so I set up my rig and tie on a small black epoxy back. A few casts later and fish on! A nice brown takes the fly and puts up a nice fight. As I let him go an old couple on shore give me a smile and a wave. If I catch 1 fish it is an amazing day, Im new to the sport and every fish is a great adventure.
Well I guess my setup was right and the fish liked my fly because in the next three hours I pulled six more browns from two close pockets. At one point I released one took one cast and had another fish on! What an amazing day, I feel like I had a little luck on my side but I have spent every chance I get on the river learning to be better.
Click the image to open in full size.We all love to get out but every once in a while it becomes a day to remember.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...500/brown2.jpg
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...500/brown3.jpg
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...500/brown4.jpg
I was alone so I only got four good ones, tight lines friends
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A Day To Remember

Always good to hear when someone is having a good one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Poop!
Great story. Just wondering. What made you choose your epoxy back fly?

Dennis
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Congrats on a great day!! Having fished in your neck of the woods I can think of several "favorite" spots that I would love to return to!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great day. The Mrs and I are heading over that way (well... to Aspen anyways) weekend after next to do a little photography. Was hoping to catch some fall colors but I've heard the leaves were changing a week or two back. Was thinking about bringing my gear with me... might have to see if I can find a hole or two of my own while I'm there.

Great pics!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to add that the photo of the brown on the rock is not something I do, actualy it was the first time I had done so. I know it is not good for the fish and you can see all my other pics are right before i release, the first one was due to the size of the fish and awkwardly having my hands full. Thank you all for the replys and I chose the epoxy back (very tiny bead) becuase at the moment it was the most simple nymph I had next to a candycane and the fish were un responsive to my larger, more hackle, or flashy nymphs. And Brobar sent me a message and I will gladly point you in the directions I know. Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Thanks catpoop... I appreciate it. I'll shoot you a message here in the next few days! Looking forward to seeing that part of CO. Been here two years and this will be my first trip over that way.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Very nice day, it's always very rewarding when a plan works out the way you envisioned it, in this case going with a simple nymph.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Poop: Nice report and congrats on the nice fish you landed! You live in a great area with some fantastic water to fish. I have in-laws in Carbondale and usually get over there at least once a year to fish.

Larry