The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Novelty Rods - 0, 1 and 2 weights-

Im fortunate to own a nice variety of rods from short 3 weights to 9 weights. My lightest rod is a Winston 7'6 3 weight and with it's classic slow Winston graphite action it makes a great small stream rod. Honestly, any lighter and it would go from fairly versatile in the context of a small stream rod to a narrow use or what I would call a novelty rod.

Yesterday on my local small stream I fished an older Orvis One Ounce two weight. I remember playing around with one of these back in the early nineties when I worked in the fly shop, it seems I took one out a time or two along with the One Weight.

I had forgotten just how much fun these ultralight rods were and that perhaps the fun factor overshadows their limited use. We were throwing a size twelve X caddis dry flies and this big bushy dry was almost more fly than I would want to cast.

What is your experience with the novelty rods- what ones do you like?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Novelty Rods - 0, 1 and 2 weights-

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Yesterday on my local small stream I fished an older Orvis One Ounce two weight.
russellb...if that's the unsanded 6'6" 2 wt, then I have the same and fish it regularly on streams and from my tube. Most of last week I spent sitting in my tube casting to bows and brookies, throwing everything from tiny adams to stimi's with a pt dropper.

I like the way this little rod feels with a fish on, especially since most of my other rods are at least med fast. You have to pressure bigger fish (in stillwater) to land them quickly for release, and I think this practice helps me (for instance) land steelhead quickly on my regular rods.

I don't think of it as a novelty rod at all...just another tool in the box, to be used when conditions demand it (small streams) or when conditions allow it (float tube, tiny lake).

-Mike
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Several streams in my locality are very small, they average less than 3-4 feet wide. These are gin clear, spring fed, ribbons of water nestled in mountain laurel. I have a Cortland 2/3 weight 7 foot rod I love for these waters. The fish are small brookies, rarely exceeding 8 inches, and the slow action rod is a real gem. a novelty, no a really useful tool.

I also have a vintage 6 foot, Fenwick 5 weight glass rod that sometimes sees small water duty.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Thanks for the responces guys, you're making it real easy to justify purchasing one as the Orvis I used was not mine!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I still use and love my 70's era Fenwick 7 Ft, 5 wt. It's amazing, but after all these years the rod looks new except for the grip which shows dirt from the hands. I wish I had pick up some of their lighter rods.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if I would label these rods as "novelty" rods since they have niches in which they were meant to be fished. The water that mrfzx described is one of those niches.

I used to own a Sage SLT 282-3. It was a fun rod for those junior sized fish and skinny waters, but I had to sell it since it wasn't the right fit for most of the waters that I fished.

I say get an ultralight if you will be able to find a use for one.

Dennis
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 AM

Dennis-

Perhaps novelty is too strong a term but I wonder if in my case the niche for the rod is so small that I would have a hard time justifying the price. This is especially the case as my small Winston/Abel 3wt outfit is so much fun and if need be I can throw a small bead head wooly without difficulty.

Over the past 10 years I have been telling myself that I am going to build a fly rod. I saw a 6'6 2wt kit on Hook & Hackle for under 150 bucks. This might be the perfect chance to see if I both like rod building and get an ultra light fly rod for a low price.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a colton slipstream 6' 2 weight rod that i absolutely love!
it is a 3 piece, so it is very easy to transport and a breeze to set up. i use it primarily for fishing gills and crappie down hear in illinois but plan on taking it up to alaska next summer for some small stream action

casey

ARFE
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the party, but here's what I wonder about: When fighting a fish with these "novelty" rods, will we be hurting the fish by tiring it out so much?

Yes, I like a good fight, but I never want to endanger a fish.

Randy
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Randy and not a fan of the toy rods
Be kind to our finned friends and keep their stress to a minimum.