The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolimit View Post
Hi Frank,

It's just something that a guide showed me. He purchased a box of those little clear orthodontic bands that are used for providing tension for bite adjustments. You then cut some yarn of your favorite color and wrap the yarn and line around a couple of times so it's got some tension and it just slides along the leader. Sorry, i don't have any pictures.
Hi zerolimit, I don't quite understand but it sounds a lot like the yarn indicators used with an "O" ring. Thanks for the information. Maybe I will get a few of those rubber bands and experiment with them.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Here's a picture I just took of one. It's a 3/16" thickness band. Feed the strands through the hole, grab the band, wrap around the leader, twist a few times and back over the strands. Slides along with just a tug and stays put. It is a bit like the O ring in principle but the O ring is tied on to the indicator and the way you attach to the leader requires you to do a track back loop. That loop isn't very adjustment friendly. This method just uses the simple tension of the rubber band and only has one wrap around the leader so it just slides along. I hope this makes sense.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just one box of these would supply the entire forum for a lifetime. Just supply your own yarn and you are done.

DCA - The Orthodontic Buyers Guide - Elastomerics - Latex Orthodontic Elastics
Zero, what weight are you using?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Zero, what weight are you using?
3/16", 4.5oz.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Frank,

It dawned on me that you probably weren't referring to the weight of the elastomer. I've used this with up to 3 splitshot (can't remember the size but they're not the microsplits) on a pretty heavy setup with weighted/beaded flies and droppers to get the fly down immediately for short drifts in fast water. Absolutely no problem floating the rig.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Frank,

It dawned on me that you probably weren't referring to the weight of the elastomer. I've used this with up to 3 splitshot (can't remember the size but they're not the microsplits) on a pretty heavy setup with weighted/beaded flies and droppers to get the fly down immediately for short drifts in fast water. Absolutely no problem floating the rig.
Mike, I was not very clear in my post. I was talking about the weight of the elastomer.

Frank
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Mike, I was not very clear in my post. I was talking about the weight of the elastomer.

Frank
OK, just wanted to make sure.

Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM

greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road

One indicator that hasn't been mentioned here is a water balloon. Balloons work great in heavy water or heavy rigs. They float through the heaviest currents imagineable. Also, when you mend with a balloon they slide across the water instead of through the water (very important in heavy seams). They are extremely sensitive as well. I am a firm believer that different situations merit different indicators.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Now, this is a strike indicator only, not a way to control depth, but I like the Bright Butt Leader from Harry Murray. He describes it in his books and in his fly shop catalog.

It's a knotted tapered leader, with the first two butt sections made from Amnesia red mono. On the mono are two Scientific Angler's strike indicators, which appear to be nothing more than 1 inch lengths of #10 orange floating fly line, with a hollow core. One indicator is about 2 feet from the end of the fly line, the next one is at the junction of the red Amnesia and the clear mono of the leader. You can add a third one closer to the tipet if you like; just thread it on before you tie on the fly. Secure it with a simple knot, or just slide it up the leader until it's stopped by either a knot or the tapered leader gets too thick.

When you cast out your line, watch the indicator that's closest to the fly. When it sinks too low to see, start watching the next one, and so on. Eventually you'll be watching just the red leader butt. When you get the hang of it, you can detect the slightest twitch, unless you're cast is too long or the water too rippled.

This thing casts like it's not there, it doesn't scare fish, and if you decide to try a dry fly for awhile you can just change flies and leave the indicator on.

I have an old 8 wt BAss Bug line that has a worn out tip...I think I'll cut it up and pull the core and use it to make more leaders. If you have an old line, you might want to try that too, or just buy some of these SA indicators.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I have with yarn is WIND. They are very resistant.
I like Styro. I use little tiny balls and a tooth pick for small clear streams, and on stillwater I love the Styro quick release. They work fantastic when fishing Chironomids at 20' deep. Real easy to move and set and come in a bunch of sizes and colors.
I do like Bio Strike for tiny flies in not so clear water. Helps get the fly out there with the extra weight. Good on those windy days when the water surface is already mixed and the fish don't notice the indicator hitting the water.