The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Colorado Cajun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 240
Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Mitch,

What yarn were you using. I use polypropylene yarn and it floats pretty good. I will take 12" to 18" at home and soak it in Hydrostop for a few hours. Yarn treated with Hydrostop will float, and float, and float. You get the idea. If you have not tried Hydrostop to soak your yarn indicators or dry flies in, you should give it a try. Good stuff.



Click the image to open in full size.


Hey Frank,
The yarn ones I have are some that I bought at a fly shop and they look like polypropylene. I never treated them with anything and that must be the reason I wasn't very pleased with them. That Hydrostop sounds like some good stuff. Do you use it for anything else such as dryflies to keep them floating longer?
__________________
Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Colorado Cajun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 240
Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenriverflyfisher View Post
One indicator that hasn't been mentioned here is a water balloon. Balloons work great in heavy water or heavy rigs. They float through the heaviest currents imagineable. Also, when you mend with a balloon they slide across the water instead of through the water (very important in heavy seams). They are extremely sensitive as well. I am a firm believer that different situations merit different indicators.
I have heard of people using ballons but I'm not following the method of attaching a ballon onto your leader. What type of balloon do you use? How do you attach it? Do you have any pics?
__________________
Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Joni's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,592
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenriverflyfisher View Post
One indicator that hasn't been mentioned here is a water balloon. Balloons work great in heavy water or heavy rigs. They float through the heaviest currents imagineable. Also, when you mend with a balloon they slide across the water instead of through the water (very important in heavy seams). They are extremely sensitive as well. I am a firm believer that different situations merit different indicators.

I have heard however, that the balloons are making a bit of a mess on the rivers. I know Stryo isn't real enviromentally safe, but there is concern about the fish eating the balloons.
Now I know you guide on one of the most popular rivers, so I figured you were a good choice to ask this.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 33
greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

Joni,
I assumed when I wrote this post that the question about pollution might be brought up. This can be a concern if the balloon is used improperly. On the Green balloons may be the most common indicator used right now. Very occasionally I will see a balloon or balloon fragment floating down the river, but not near as often as styro (which I see almost daily). With balloons or stryo it is usually a result of improper attachment. There are a couple of ways to attach the balloon. First, I only blow the balloon up the size of a nickle. Either with a slip knot with the leader just above the knot on the balloon or by tying an overhand knot with the balloon over the leader. If the slip knot method is used, make sure when the slip knot is pulled tight a little of the balloon pulls through the knot as well. This will keep the balloon from coming off the line (in fact you'll have to remove it with scissors to get it completely off). As for fish eating the balloons, it happens a lot if you use pink or orange balloons on the Green. If green and blue are used there doesn't seem to be a problem. CC, I use walmart waterbombs, they end up costing just over a penny per balloon.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Frank Whiton's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,301
Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
Hey Frank,
The yarn ones I have are some that I bought at a fly shop and they look like polypropylene. I never treated them with anything and that must be the reason I wasn't very pleased with them. That Hydrostop sounds like some good stuff. Do you use it for anything else such as dryflies to keep them floating longer?
Yes, I use Hydrastop on any fly I want to float well. You don't have to soak a fly just a quick dunk and let dry. It is best used at the tying bench rather than on stream. It needs to be completely dry before use. I don't know what effect it has on CDC hackle. I think it would be alright if it was completely dry.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Joni's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,592
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenriverflyfisher View Post
Joni,
I assumed when I wrote this post that the question about pollution might be brought up. This can be a concern if the balloon is used improperly. On the Green balloons may be the most common indicator used right now. Very occasionally I will see a balloon or balloon fragment floating down the river, but not near as often as styro (which I see almost daily). With balloons or stryo it is usually a result of improper attachment. There are a couple of ways to attach the balloon. First, I only blow the balloon up the size of a nickle. Either with a slip knot with the leader just above the knot on the balloon or by tying an overhand knot with the balloon over the leader. If the slip knot method is used, make sure when the slip knot is pulled tight a little of the balloon pulls through the knot as well. This will keep the balloon from coming off the line (in fact you'll have to remove it with scissors to get it completely off). As for fish eating the balloons, it happens a lot if you use pink or orange balloons on the Green. If green and blue are used there doesn't seem to be a problem. CC, I use walmart waterbombs, they end up costing just over a penny per balloon.
I guess that is what concerns me. For the most part, styro can be reused so it ends up back in the vest or pack, where as the balloons once used is just discarded. Like you said, at a penny apiece. We can only hope people treat them like cigarette butts and take them with them, but in most cases, that ain't gonna happen
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Colorado Cajun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 240
Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenriverflyfisher View Post
Joni,
I assumed when I wrote this post that the question about pollution might be brought up. This can be a concern if the balloon is used improperly. On the Green balloons may be the most common indicator used right now. Very occasionally I will see a balloon or balloon fragment floating down the river, but not near as often as styro (which I see almost daily). With balloons or stryo it is usually a result of improper attachment. There are a couple of ways to attach the balloon. First, I only blow the balloon up the size of a nickle. Either with a slip knot with the leader just above the knot on the balloon or by tying an overhand knot with the balloon over the leader. If the slip knot method is used, make sure when the slip knot is pulled tight a little of the balloon pulls through the knot as well. This will keep the balloon from coming off the line (in fact you'll have to remove it with scissors to get it completely off). As for fish eating the balloons, it happens a lot if you use pink or orange balloons on the Green. If green and blue are used there doesn't seem to be a problem. CC, I use walmart waterbombs, they end up costing just over a penny per balloon.
*Making note to myself* If fishing the Green, use pink or orange flies.

Okay! Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.
__________________
Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Colorado Cajun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 240
Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The problem I have with yarn is WIND. They are very resistant.
I like Styro. I use little tiny balls and a tooth pick for small clear streams, and on stillwater I love the Styro quick release. They work fantastic when fishing Chironomids at 20' deep. Real easy to move and set and come in a bunch of sizes and colors.
I do like Bio Strike for tiny flies in not so clear water. Helps get the fly out there with the extra weight. Good on those windy days when the water surface is already mixed and the fish don't notice the indicator hitting the water.

Joni, how do you land your fish having an indicator 20' up your line? Does it slide down the line when it gets to the eye?



Franks, thanks for sharing. I'll get some of that and try it on some parachutes.
__________________
Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Joni's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,592
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
Joni, how do you land your fish having an indicator 20' up your line? Does it slide down the line when it gets to the eye?
It breaks away and slides free. There is a little peg that you put on your leader first, then the styro egg. When you get the the point in the leader you want, you makr a loop between the peg and the egg and stick the peg in the egg with the loop to the side. Not real hard to figure out how tight to put the peg in. When fish hits, the line straightens pull the loop out and the peg and egg will slide freely.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On














All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.