The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM

olivebugger is on a distinguished road
Default Hit

What are you favorite hit indicators? I bought some that were really bad. I dont wanna say the name but that company got me on that one.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit

I use ez indicators by stone creek ltd.. in Greely Co. 970 330 7476. I use 5/8 inch, and buy 100 at a time.. . they are pretty large, but im usually going deep. they are hard foam with a slit and a rubber tube..they come in different sizes, colors, and assorted....... they slide up and down the line easily, and dont need any maintainance.. If you check them often, and put a twist in the tube around the line, I dont loose many at all.. dave.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree with fffg, I like those type of indicators best, becuase they are fairly cheap, go on easy, stay put, and can be moved around easily. I would avoid any indicators that involve a toothpick/wood stopper, as they often swell up once in the water, and become a bugger to get back out of the indicator.

I also like the type that I suggest in this thread http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...e-not-800.html for fishing heavy (turbulent/pocket) water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have tried several different types of indicators and my favorite by far is a standard yarn indicator. There are others that are easier to adjust but you don't have to worry about yarn indicators slipping out of position. You can change color at will and there is a multitude of different colors. You can start with a large indicator and with a couple of snips you can reduce the size. I don't care for a yarn indicator with the "O" ring attached. I experimented with Rainy foam tubes that worked OK but finally settled on a standard yarn indicator.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

You can make your own from tly tying yarn material and orthodontic rubber bands. They slide along for depth adjustment easier than the O Ring type and they are much cheaper.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolimit View Post
You can make your own from tly tying yarn material and orthodontic rubber bands. They slide along for depth adjustment easier than the O Ring type and they are much cheaper.
Hi zerolimit, where can we see a picture of an indicator like you are talking about? Can you post a picture?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I have tried several different types of indicators and my favorite by far is a standard yarn indicator. There are others that are easier to adjust but you don't have to worry about yarn indicators slipping out of position. You can change color at will and there is a multitude of different colors. You can start with a large indicator and with a couple of snips you can reduce the size. I don't care for a yarn indicator with the "O" ring attached. I experimented with Rainy foam tubes that worked OK but finally settled on a standard yarn indicator.
I started flyfishing with a yarn indicator and then switched to the foam with the O ring, and now I like the twist on styrofoam ones. I found the yarn ones start to sink to easily and you have to put floatant on them.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi zerolimit, where can we see a picture of an indicator like you are talking about? Can you post a picture?
Hi Frank,

It's just something that a guide showed me. He purchased a box of those little clear orthodontic bands that are used for providing tension for bite adjustments. You then cut some yarn of your favorite color and wrap the yarn and line around a couple of times so it's got some tension and it just slides along the leader. Sorry, i don't have any pictures.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Just one box of these would supply the entire forum for a lifetime. Just supply your own yarn and you are done.

DCA - The Orthodontic Buyers Guide - Elastomerics - Latex Orthodontic Elastics
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
I started flyfishing with a yarn indicator and then switched to the foam with the O ring, and now I like the twist on styrofoam ones. I found the yarn ones start to sink to easily and you have to put floatant on them.
Hi Mitch,

What yarn were you using. I use polypropylene yarn and it floats pretty good. I will take 12" to 18" at home and soak it in Hydrostop for a few hours. Yarn treated with Hydrostop will float, and float, and float. You get the idea. If you have not tried Hydrostop to soak your yarn indicators or dry flies in, you should give it a try. Good stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.