The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM

fishwiz4 is on a distinguished road
Default memory in leader?

I have alot of coiling in my leaders. I have tried to hang them overnight with tension, but that seemed like only a temporary solution. they recovered their memory very shortly after i took them down.

does anyone have any solutions to this? maybe it is not a big problem, but i think that it could really be getting in my way while i am still "learning" to cast (i am relativly new).

or do i just need a different brand leader? i am using scientific angler.

thanks
steve

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: memory in leader?

We all have that same problem but there is a very easy solution. Go to your local fly shop and ask for a leader straightner. I guess that is what they call it. It kinda looks like a key chain. That is what it reminds me of anyway. It is simply two pieces of some material that you pinch the leader in and pull the leader through. Do it twice and you have a staight leader. Wal Mart even has them. They are around $5.00.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those straighteners work well, but there's a different method that's cheaper that I prefer: my hands. Grip the leader firmly and pull it through your grasp a few times until its getting warm, then stretch out the section you have just done the warming bit with. If your grip is so tight that the leader starts to burn your hand, then you're gripping it too tightly, and probably weakening your leader. (Kinda like Rodney Dangerfield's take on procreating: "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong")

I prefer to use my hands becuase the store bought straighteners allow you to heat up the leader to the point of damaging it. The nerves in the skin on your hands keep this from being possible.

fishwiz, Hanging could help, but if you're hanging them wighted on both ends over a skinny post/hook, then you're likely putting a tight kink/curl right in the middle of the leader. Just laying them out in big coils (12" dia +) will probably work better overall.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have to agree with Cliff about the leader straightener you buy at the shop. They have rubber on the surface where you pull the leader through. The rubber has too much friction and will heat up the leader. You can weaken your tippet quite a bit and I stopped using one years ago. Cliff's method of pulling through your hands works well. Here is the method I use. I bend down on one knee and grasp the leader in both hands. I put the leader on the vertical knee and stretch the leader against my knee. I don't pull the leader through my hands but just put pressure on the leader to stretch it. I then remove the leader from my knee and move one hand up to the other and then move the other hand away for another section to stretch. I continue this until the total leader is stretched. There is no heat involved in this method.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 AM

thanks to all, i will try it. when i had tried to hang it, i had a place that was 9' high so i didnt need to weigh both ends, just tie one to the rafters, and hang a little weight. i will try to straighten it with my hands, or maybe just hang if for a few days rather than just one night.

will these methods of straightening be more permamnent?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Fishwiz4, you say you added a little weight to the end of the leader. How little weight was it? I don't think you are using a large enough weight. The advantage of stretching it in sections is you can apply more pressure to the butt and heavier sections and lighter pressure to the tippet. Stretching with a weight also has another problem. It doesn't work very well in the field. If you stretch it at home and roll it up in small coils it will take on more memory requiring it to be stretch again. I never had good luck with SA leaders and you might want to try a different brand. You may be making this a lot harder than it is. Try one of the stretching methods above and if that doesn't work, try a different leader.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:22 AM

sounds good frank,

thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: memory in leader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwiz4 View Post
sounds good frank,

thanks
Hope it helps.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM

mike will become famous soon enoughmike will become famous soon enough

start using furlled leaders
Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM

what is a furled leader? I have heard it talked about multiple times, but i still dont really know what it is.

is that where you tie multiple diameters of mono line together?