The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Invertebrate Study

I'm in a rod & gun club that has about 2 miles of one of the best trout streams in NJ. We had a lot of stream work done last year & I'm putting together a plan to do an invertebrate study on the river. I went on the web & came up with the basic protocols, but I'm looking for any further info. Over the years I've picked up some knowledge of stream insects. but not for all the bugs I expect to find. Besides "Trout Nut" can you recomend any sites that will aid me in bug I.D.'s.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Invertebrate Study

You can find a field guide to Fresh Water Invertebrates of North America at the big book sellers like Barns & Noble. If they don't have one check Amazon. The best source would be to check with local universities who offer courses in Fisheries biology or geohydrology, the geology major has a class curriculum in watershed management. This is a really good study for anyone interested in stream management. The college book store will have the text books and the professor's can tell you which books to acquire.

Hope that helps,

Ard

PS. I had an after thought; back in the eighties I took a three day course at Dingmans Ferry (Close to you?) at the (PEEC) I believe that was the place. It was the Pocono Environmental Education Center at Dingmans Ferry. They offer this course or at least they did back before the wheel. A call up there might put you on the right track too.

Here's their link; http://www.peec.org/

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invertebrate Study

Troutnut is indeed an excellent site.

You might want to contact these folks--- they might help you with some advice on setting up the study, survey techniques, things to consider, resources like species distribution maps, suggest keys for identification etc. And it sounds like a great project for a grad student or two:

Dept. of Entomology at the Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences

Roger Rohrbeck's site, Fly Fishing Entomology might be useful also. He has an identification key for adult caddis, mayflies, and stoneflies that can help narrow down possibilities. And his "links" page has a bunch of links to taxonomic keys for ID-ing including pdf files on mayfly nymphs etc.
Flyfishing Entomology

Good luck with your project -- keep us in the loop I'm sure there are a lot of other folks--- including me--- that would really like to hear about your progress on the project and your findings.