The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Face to Face with a Black Bear today

Raining today but decided to go fishing anyway, the fish don't seem to mind when it's wet , anyway I was out on the river and it started to come down in buckets so I decided to hit the wood line . While waiting out the deluge I decided to clean my fly line, this was an old set up that I decided to bring out today and I haven't used it in a while so it needed a cleaning. I started walking the line out with my eyes to the ground as it was very rocky and at the top of my periferal vision I see a black object no more than 10 feet away, I look up and just as I do the bear spins around and we are face to face , we both pause for what seemed like a long time but was a split second then the bear takes of running faster than you could imagine, I stood there with my jaw on the ground and in need of some new shorts.
Oh I went on to catch six nice browns
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Face to Face with a Black Bear today

Bruce: good to heaar that the bear encounter turned out ok, but that must have been a scary moment or two! Congrats on the fish!

Larry

Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!Glad it turned out ok.
I hear Simms is adding an "underware pocket" to some of their high end packs for 2012.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I hear Simms is adding an "underware pocket" to some of their high end packs for 2012.

Edit to add, We were both obviously startled just glad he decided to take off.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Bruce.
I don't know what I'd do if I encounted one whilst fishing in the wilds as you did.

I've had Bears pretty close whilst Fishing Funnell,Moraine Creek & at Brooks Lodge in Katmai Alaska,the day I was at Funnell Creek I counted 22 Bears,one small bear even came up the huge bank to eat his Salmon he had just caught about 40 feet away however those bears are used to the people as there must have been 20 to 30 people there that day,A Beaver Load came in just to take Photos of them.
Later whilst talking to one of the Pilots he told me he brings people regularly just to take photos.
Everyone gives them space,also they have the right of way at Brooks.
Good to hear it ended well & you caught some nice Fish.
Brian.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

They're a lot less scarey when they're sound asleep in your lap:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Ah, the good old days.
Gary
Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 PM

What did you do Gary, adopt some cubs.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to hear your shorts made it through OK Bruce, I've always had trouble photographing them because of the running thing. Most of the brown bears I've came onto ran or walked off before I could even think camera, the ones who walked were more on my mind than those who run.

Good one Fysh

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Bruce, nope, I was in grad school helping an officemate out that was studying black bears in the Smokies. Here's her baby:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Now that's a cute cub, I'm sure those days will be memories forever, pretty cool.