The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 PM

olivebugger is on a distinguished road
Default Next

Well here is another one for you guys. When out on the stream I am having a hard time getting a good dead drift. What is the proper way to go about achieving this and is it as hard as i am making it?!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Next

As important as a good dead drift is,it is not tricky.Keeping a eye on the "belly"caused by casting and drifting accros a current is important.When fishing up and across a current,throw a upstream mend as your cast hit's the water,as your fly drift's down,keep the "belly" out of the line by mending the line upsteam.Simple as that.Another little tip for keeping the belly/drag out of your drift is to keep as little of your line on the water as possable,less line on the water means less chance for drag.So keep your cast's as short as possable and dont be afraid to hold the rod high to keep the line off the water,when or before a belly form's,remember to mend the line back up stream.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Good advice from Troutbum. Think of it this way, anytime you have flyline downstream of your fly, the water will drag the line causing drag on your fly. That is the reason for the mend. That is how it was explained to me on my first trip flyfishing. It made sense and is about the easiest way to explain it.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Good advice, but I'm not sure doing it all at once could be called simple. In general, I would say the easiest ways to get a dead drift are to fish straight upstream, or to high stick and follow your drift with your rod.

Reach, bounce, and tuck casts can help alot too.

Reach cast- When casting across the current, after you have stopped your casting stroke and the cast is still moving forward, reach gently upstream with the rod tip. This will make the fly line land on the water above where it otherwise would and give you a better drift.

Bounce cast- (generally for dry flies or emergers) Slightly overpower your forward cast and direct it at a point high above the surface of the water. After it turns over it will bounce back and fall down to the water with lots of squiggles that should lengthen your drift also. (practice them separately at first, but combining a reach cast with a bounce cast works very well)

Tuck cast- Works only when casting some weight. (shot, weighted nymph) The casting stroke is very similar to the bounce cast, but focus on doing it smoothly. Instead of the cast bouncing back, the weight that has just flown forward and then down as the cast straightens out will plunge into the water ahead of the leader and line. This allows gravity to act on the weight (shot, weighted nymph) before drag starts affecting the line.

Curve casts help too, but I need to be able to do those better before I attempt to explain them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Define "good" dead drift. Depending on where you are and the speed of the water a good dead drift may last only a couple of seconds. It's tough to place into words the action that you have to take so I'll leave that up to the others but one suggestion is to cast shorter distances and watch your fly and practice mending the line. Try doing this right in front of you and then work your way out. Remember if you have all of your line out your chances of mending the line are slim. If you are only casting fifteen feet then you can mend your line with ease. Remember to practice and keep an eye on the leader and watch how the current will take all those small coils out and then your fly goes into a drag. Sometimes it only takes a longer leader to get those extra coils into the leader and give you that extra second that it takes to put the fly near the fish. Other times you may need to reposition yourself in the stream. The more you cast upstream the more time you'll have before your fly drags. You need to read the stream and the currents and notice that each rock has spots where the current is fast, slow, and running upstream. Try not to cast your line across two of these or you will drag your fly.
Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Reactor raises a good point, often the easiest way to get a good drift is with your feet. Wade a little closer to where you're trying to present your fly and a good drift can become much easier.

Recalling a great video that Gary LaFontaine made, it also helps to take a "big look" at where you are trying to fish and make sure to position yourself ideally to cast to where you're trying to fish. Instead of finding the water you want to fish, and walking straight to it, make you sure you are fishing it from the best spot. Amazon.com: Successful Fly Fishing Strategies: DVD: Jeffrey Pill,Gary Lafontaine,Dick Sharon

Flip liked it too: Flip Pallot Host, ESPN's Walker's Cay Chronicles
"At last, a video that makes you feel like you are there...I felt like a spy"

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.