The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default filth?

just a vent,
so i've been fishing the local lake the past few days super hard
many fish to hand and a really nice time to boot.
my only gripe is the amount of garbage left by moron anglers before me
cigg butts, beer cans and my fav...sky blue worm containers! plus random shopping bags and what ever my happen to be inside them

casey

ARFE
Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: filth?

Yep us humans are slobs, I like to bring a small store bag every time I go out in my vest, though there is usually nothing to pickup where I go I get what I can and keep it that way. Others just don't care.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I just don't understand it - will never understand it. Why do people leave behind their trash? It's disgusting.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the new culture, nobody wants to be responsible for their own actions.

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

Have experienced the same conditions at the local fishing pond, very upsetting. Also try to remember to bring trash bag with me.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sadly there are way more ******** out there then we need. Most of them are too lazy or too dense to teach them the right way to act...

Dan
Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
It's the new culture, nobody wants to be responsible for their own actions.

Dave
Man you said a mouthfull! There are some really good kids out there, I have been priveledged to know many of them. However, as a public High school teacher I see it more and more. Just try and make a young adult responsible, then deal with the parents......the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I have seen really good, upstanding people act like slobs in the outdoors, especially when camping. Not sure of the mentallity here, or why it breaks down suddenly like that......guess I'm no Sigmund Freud. All we can do is set a good example for the youngsters (and oldsters too).

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
Yep us humans are slobs, I like to bring a small store bag every time I go out in my vest, though there is usually nothing to pickup where I go I get what I can and keep it that way. Others just don't care.
I also put an old plastic grocery back in my wader pocket and pick up trash on the way out.

Like the original poster, I complain about slobs; but like you, I think we can do a lot on our own to clean up.

Now here's a question that the philosopher in me aks of myself. When I see trash on the stream and leave it there, do I bear any responsibility?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Depends on your definition of responsibility. You have none for placing it there originally , but plenty for leaving it there. I often go home with pockets full of used fishing line found on the banks. Many of the streams I fish also have lots of spinner and bait fishermen. They tear off, and think nothing of leaving the torn line hanging in trees and lying on the shore for some hapless bird or animal to get tangled in. I think the old saying is "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem".

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 09-29-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: circular reasoning
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I also put an old plastic grocery back in my wader pocket and pick up trash on the way out.

Like the original poster, I complain about slobs; but like you, I think we can do a lot on our own to clean up.

Now here's a question that the philosopher in me aks of myself. When I see trash on the stream and leave it there, do I bear any responsibility?
If you did bear any responsibility then you are doomed to utter and complete failure. You could say that "because I SAW TRASH, and didn't pick it up; I am responsible". This logically leads to, "I KNOW THERE IS TRASH at the lake down the road, and I'm not going down there to pick it up; I am responsible. This also means that "I know there is trash on the shores of every lake in Ohio; I am also responsible for that".

"Supererogatory"...Big word meaning "above and beyond any normative ethical obligations". It's not your responsibility to pick up after others, but it is supererogatorily something that you and I choose to do (I will not say that is something we "should" do because that indicates responsibility or culpability). I don't think you can be blamed for leaving someone elses mess. Carried to its extreme, or "reducio ad absurdum" you could spend you life picking up other peoples trash; nearly "ad infinitum" and still be "responsible".

Yes I pick up trash, but I leave some too if it is too much of an inconvenience to tote it back.