The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: I need new waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
As far as brand....Simms are great, and I have had good luck with Cabela's, but my next pair will definitely be a pair with the zippered front.
I like my zipper.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

For cold water steelhead I like fleece pants and socks under breathable waders...most of which are fabricared in China (except for Simms). Some have better designed suspenders and fleece lined hand warmer pockets and others are more basic but the durability if some $100 models is just as good as gussied-up versions costing 3+ times as much. Look for well designed, built-in gravel cuffs of elastic material with plastic not metal lace hooks on them, extra layers of reinforcing material on the seat and lower leg areas, ergonomicly designed and well taped neoprene feet, attached belt loop(s) so your not loosing your wading belt repeatedly and adaquit girth so the wader will fit over a fleece jacket.

I recently got Redington's Sonic-Pro "welded-not-sewen" seamed wader. I'll report in a year how they hold up.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i like my patagonia waders allot. i cant remember the model, but the have a really slick shoulder strap system that allows me to wear the at either chest high or waist high, depending on what i want. very nice for warm days and hiking back to a location.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

I'm a total rookie when it comes to fly fishing. I was given a set of Simms Blackfoot waders as a gift and I have no complaints. I know they are an entry level pair, but I can wade all day long and am perfectly comfortable.

Simms 2011 Blackfoot Waders, Brown, Medium
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i like my patagonia waders allot. i cant remember the model, but the have a really slick shoulder strap system that allows me to wear the at either chest high or waist high, depending on what i want. very nice for warm days and hiking back to a location.

casey
i have the same models!! I agree they are great and after being punished for about 6 years I started to get a damp foot. I felt that they were at the end of their life so I ordered a pair of Simms G3s. I love my Simms but I really liked the suspender system of the Patagonias. On a whim I called Patagonia up and they said to send them back and they would reseal them for free!!! Looks like I'll have two great pairs now- I'll definitely use the Pats in the summer...

All hale Patagonia customer service

PS- this is not my only great Patagonia customer service story- they once sent me a FREE SST Jacket