The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 AM

jig stick is on a distinguished road
Default I need new waders

I need some help. I've been looking at a pair of Redington waders online, but don't have anywhere local to try them on. What other brands and models have you guys had good luck with? I'm looking for chest waders. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need new waders

I have a pair of LL Bean Rapid River stocking foot waders and am very happy with them and with Bean's customer service. I just noticed that the waders are on sale.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

I really like patagonia waders. They are know for their ironclad warranty. i put a hole in one. So they refunded my money after 2 years of use. Then bought another and they patched that up for free. Their customer service is really awesome. They are currently selling a pair for $180 from 300. The waders them selves are really tough. The holes that i got are from knife like rocks.

link: Patagonia Men's Watermaster Fly Fishing Waders - Regular

Thonyb
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I realy like my LL Beans', free shipping, great warranty, and an even better customer service staff! I know of guys returning waders and jackets after 10-15 years of hard use and they refund the money no questions asked.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

As far as brand....Simms are great, and I have had good luck with Cabela's, but my next pair will definitely be a pair with the zippered front.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road

I have a fairly cheep pair of hendrix outdoor chest/stocking foot. only 100 bucks and has lasted a season with many days, hooks, spills, and snags. My next pair will likely be a simms, however thonyb link for the 180 patagonias looks like an amazing deal, I love my patagonia riverwalkers and have a feeling there waders are great as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig stick View Post
I need some help. I've been looking at a pair of Redington waders online, but don't have anywhere local to try them on. What other brands and models have you guys had good luck with? I'm looking for chest waders. Thanks.
Which Redington waders? I've got the CPX and so far so good but I only have a season in them. I thought they were being discontinued; I paid 110 + shipping. They are $200 waders, and I'm impressed so far. If you are going to spend 150 days a year in the water you should consider Simms, otherwise I wouldn't buy the premium stuff; just too much of a price difference between good and great; IMO.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jig Stick,

Choosing waders can be a frustrating process, what with all the different brands and then come the myriad of price points that further confuse the customer............ There are several things that bring the choice to a personal level; budget, and how tough will you be on the wader are the two at the top of the list. I am not the sort of fellow who pays the highest price just because everyone else does. Price counts but I am hard on waders. I wander through heavy riverside bush and spend a lot of time on the knees so tough really matters. I have owned SealDri, Red Ball, Hodgman, Orvis (made by Hodgman) LL Bean (Wicked Tough - discontinued) and now these Simms. SealDri are no longer made but all the others are still around. My fishing buddy from PA. wore Patagonia and he liked them so I'll give then the nod based on his use.

It will be 2 years ago this November that I replaced my waders with a pair of Simms G3 in large tall. I gave them a good workout and then sent them in to Simms before the one year mark had past. They patched a number of tiny leaks that I had not really noticed and it is my impression that by doing this (1 year service) the warranty lives on. I'll find out this November. The wader cost 399.00 but they seem to take a real beating. Most recently I somehow slipped on the step that leads off our front porch into the driveway when loading the truck & boat for a trip, I was wearing the waders......... I landed on the left knee and then followed closely with the right! No tear, no visible damage, amazing.

So price and use habits are what you should consider. I've never owned what could be termed cheap waders because I always wanted them to keep me dry and not to tear while I was in them. If you get a high quality make you will not have to walk as if you are on egg shells

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I just received a new pair of Simms G4 Pro's the other day and while it hurt to shell out that kind of coin for them if I get 15 years out of them like I did my last pair of Simms.....it'll be money very well spent.

As Ard mentioned sending them back to the factory once a year to be checked out keeps them rolling.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM

jig stick is on a distinguished road

Im going to be using these waders while fishing for steelhead in the Lake Erie and Ontario tribs, mostly from now through April. What do you guys typically wear under your waders to keep warm? Long underwear? Jeans? Im going to make a 1hr drive to try on a pair of waders I found, and want to make sure I have the right under layers on to see if they will be comfortable.