The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Better nymphing....need tips

adjust the depth via shot. the addition of one bb shot can be the difference between failure and success. finding the depth of a feeding fish is 95%of the game.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

By the by, the "Utah bounce technique" is also called drop shotting.
You lose your shot on the bottom, not your flies.....
Lead is toxic to most all life forms.
It passes through the macroinvertebrates, to the fish, to us if we eat one (With the added jolt of build up along the way.)
(A great reason to eat little ones too, instead of the fatties....)
Please use tungsten shot if you fish this style.
More than a few guides there, started fishing this style so beginners can hook up.
Making this sport easier so you can handle forty fish in a day, makes me think someone is missing the point. I remember when we worked up, to doing that.
Not sure who I feel more sorry for, the fish, or fishermen.
Just so you know, I have people quiz me if I guide that way, before agreeing to hire me.
Poor form or progress, you make the call.....

And maybe give your local DFG a call too, it's not legal here.

Last edited by Bigfly; 10-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

A quick tip to help recognize a strike. Use two small bits of strike indicator putty about 6" apart. Not enough to suspend the fly but enough to see(not suspending the fly is a plus in my eyes). Often makes it much easier to detect a strike than a single indicator.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

Hey Al, yes I am on OAF. Posted something similar there. Looking for both region specific, and general advice so that's why I've tried both forums.

Lots of information to process and I did go down to Lake Taneycomo on Saturday and Sunday to practice. Can't say I did well. I only took in one on the nymphing. Took in several more on my go to practice of stripping cracklebacks. When I got real bored, I barrel shot Outlet 2 with a tan scud and a copper john. Not very sporting, but actually catching a few does make you feel better.

I'll keep working at it. I'm not one to give up.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

JCJ-
Tomorrow I'll be Kayaking/fly fishing the North Fork but Thursday morning I'll be at Taney if they maintain the current generation schedule. I'd be more than happy to hook up and show some things that I have been successful with or at least engage in general BS and fish lies!!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

Russ, I wish I could. I'm working all week. As for the weekend, between the wife's plans for the weekend and the need to mow the lawn it's an unlikely occurrence unless it's real early. I'm not a fan of early, LOL. I'll be out of town the weekend of 10/14-10/16 too. I'm probably gonna be AWOL on Taneycomo for a few weeks.

When I get back, I'll keep plugging away at the techniques I've read here and on OAF.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
By the by, the "Utah bounce technique" is also called drop shotting.
You lose your shot on the bottom, not your flies.....
Lead is toxic to most all life forms.
It passes through the macroinvertebrates, to the fish, to us if we eat one (With the added jolt of build up along the way.)
(A great reason to eat little ones too, instead of the fatties....)
Please use tungsten shot if you fish this style.
More than a few guides there, started fishing this style so beginners can hook up.
Making this sport easier so you can handle forty fish in a day, makes me think someone is missing the point. I remember when we worked up, to doing that.
Not sure who I feel more sorry for, the fish, or fishermen.
Just so you know, I have people quiz me if I guide that way, before agreeing to hire me.
Poor form or progress, you make the call.....
We call that strip and flip, was surprised to see his use of lead.

Rick
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Check out the Orvis Guide to Nymphing by Tom Rosenbauer. It's an excellent, simple book. IMHO, the best one for beginners.

Randy