The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 AM

fishwiz4 is on a distinguished road
Default Red River near Fargo

I am curious if anyone here has ever fished the Red River near Fargo, ND. i am a student at NDSU in Fargo, and i am planning on spending some time at the river mainly for some practice with my casting, but i want to know if there is much for catchable fish in this area of the river. what types of flies should i be using, what species will be my target, ect.

Also, anyone know of any other places very near fargo that would be good places to take my fly gear to?

thanks for any input.

steve

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Red River near Fargo

You may consider something in the land of a thousand lakes and a trillion mosquito's. I couldn't find much about FF in ND doing a quick search. I'm sure there is something out there though. Check on the fishing in MN and you should find something good.

Good luck,
Terry
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

fishwiz4 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply.

I actually fish MN all the time. I live near the twin cities and I go to school in Fargo. I just want to learn to fish moving water, and to find a "decent" spot that is very close. The nearest lakes in MN are at least 30 min away, compared to the red river which I can easily walk to. That’s the only reason I asked. When I plan on fishing for more that just a couple hours, I will go to a lake near Detroit Lakes, MN (about 45 min away).

I just figure that there has to be some sort of fish in the river, but maybe I am wrong about that.

Also, how do I get the spell checker to work? I have it downloaded and installed, but it will prompt me to go download it whenever I click the button.

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM

sheamc85 is on a distinguished road

I also just moved to the Fargo area and am trying to go fly fishing on the Red. If you found any more information you should repost, or if anyone else knows anything please post. Also if anyone is looking for a fishing partner please email.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Guys you live in an area that has some fantastic fly fishing for Cats. Yep the good old Channel Cat. It can be taken on streamers and will put up a terrific fight. Make sure you use nothing less than an 8 wt when you fish the river and a reel that can hold at least 150 yards of backing. You will need it. I fish the Red in Manitoba and have an absolute riot fishing the river. A couple of pics from this year. I forgot to mention the Carp that live in the river as well. This is very interesting fishing.

[IMG][http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/flyfisheranonymous/June23ontheRed031.jpg[/IMG]

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM

Lets try the Carp again.
[IMG][http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/flyfisheranonymous/June23ontheRed031.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM

One last time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

darkcahill: Nice looking carp, way to go! I'll bet that guy put up a great fight.

Larry
Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i fished the red river IN fargo. i didnt fly fish, but my dad and i got a guide in fargo to fish channel cats. it was awesome.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fishwiz4,

You also have the Sheyenna river in your area. It has a bunch of different warm water species. Some sections have Walleye. I saw a post from a fella who got a limit of Walleyes on the Sheyenna North of Valley city. Here is an excerpt about the Sheyenna River Valley.

"Popular fishing spots are found along the Sheyenne River, below dams at Lisbon, Ft Ransom, Kathryn, Cooperstown, Mill Dam at Valley City and Bald Hill Dam at Lake Ashtabula. Other sites are found at Clausen Springs, Hobart Lake, and Dead Colt Creek."

The Red River seems to have a good supply of Walleyes and Catfish. If you do a search on the Red River, ND and you will find a bunch of information.