The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 PM

brobar is on a distinguished road
Default Sometimes you get what you pay for... and then there was today

I'm a big believer that in many things you get what you pay for. But then there was today. A couple of weeks back I took a fly fishing class from a reputable fly shop. The instructor was a nice guy and seemed knowledgeable but the 4 hour course seemed rushed and many things were skimmed over (like the very important casting). I paid about $120 for the course and I did have fun and learned some things that I didn't know before so I was content. Then last week I saw that Bass Pro was giving a beginner fly fishing course today so I signed up for it thinking it is free so I have nothing to lose. I can honestly say I feel I learned infinitely more from the 2 and a half hours from this old timer at bass pro than I did the guy at the other place... especially when it came to casting.

Instead of 5-10 minutes of "do like this from 10 to 2, 10 to 2"... he went over in explicit detail why 10 to 2 was a complete crock and gave us some great pointers on the correct positions as well as a very helpful tip on timing your swing which made all the difference in the world for me. He went over a few more basic casts, roll casting and line mending all in great and thorough detail which I didn't get in the first class.

Now with an hour and a half less time... I didn't get the on water experience or as much focus on entomology but it was so worth the time to go to the FREE class. I tried tipping the guy at the end of the course because he was a TREMENDOUS help but he wouldn't take it (I don't think he was allowed to take tips to be honest).

Anyways... I guess this is one of those cases where "you get what you pay for" didn't really come in to play.

I also met a potential fishing buddy in the class with me so that is cool!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sometimes you get what you pay for... and then there was today

Glad you found a course that helped you out. Some people just aren't good instructors, like myself, and others just have that gift where they can put into words what I could never do with a hands on experience, it really is a gift and and you can tell when your in those gifted classes, you see all the people getting involved in it and a lot of understanding nods of the head.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hmmmmm.... Hard to swallow that pill when you feel like you spent money unwisely.... BUT, you mentioned that the paid class offered some useful entomology parts and some other useful tips. Sounds like the casting instruction was all that was lacking.... And you got that for free at Bpro....

Now take the lessons from each class and go catch some fish.

To address the class that you paid for-- being a fly shop, they very likely have casting classes and fishing classes.... you could've inadvertently taken the 'wrong' class.... Bpro is likely making the assumption that people know very little about fly fishing and are getting people going starting at ground level. Don't be too quick to shun the other guys because it sounds to me like they gave you a lot of good info-- just not what you were maybe hoping to get.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 PM

Nah... I don't think the original class was a waste or money wasted. I learned a lot there. I just feel like I learned a little more with the free class. If you combined the teaching style and tips of the 2nd class with the knowledge of the guy and format of the first class... you would have a top notch class. And the first class was the shops only "intro to fly fishing" class. I was just surprised that casting was skimmed over so quickly. And that 10 and 2 stuff just doesn't work either (not as well anyways).

So yeah... if you are in the Denver area and need a good intro from a knowledgeable guy... hook yourself up with the intro class at Bass Pro and Blaine there will get you started on the right path. You definitely can't beat the price.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

Last year Orvis opened a 2 stores near me (SE PA). I took a free Orvis FF class (101 & 201) and learned the basics... knots and casting in 101, on the water casting and basic FF tactics in 201. Worth every penny (free). There was no entomology though. LL Bean just opened here this weekend. They too had a free FF clinic (which I missed).

So learn how ever and where ever you can.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Maybe this isn't the right place for a thorough discussion of the 10 and 2 casting theory, but what did this guy say about it? I'm pretty much self taught, trial and error with some you-tube Lefty and other pointers from guys on this website. I do pretty well at accuracy and have plenty of distance. I use a little bit of Lefty's casting by turning my entire body, but I do a little of 10 to 2 but I do it sidearm. After trying the different styles, I don't think that I would say that 10 and 2 style is a "crock", because I can do it just fine. I think it is "10 and 2" plus alot of other things to execute properly during the forward and backcast. I'm just curious; what was his reason(s) for saying so?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 PM

You are right... I shouldn't call 10 & 2 a crock... because it very well may work for some people... or some people may make it work. I can see why it shouldn't necessarily be a go to method for teaching beginners how to cast though. Once the gentleman at Bass Pro got me out of my 10 & 2 habit (which I had been practicing since I picked it up at my first class) it was like a switch turned on and a night and day difference occurred in my casting in both distance as well as accuracy. A few other people who had tried casting before with the 10 & 2 method noticed a huge difference as well. I don't know where they picked it up... maybe through instruction from somebody else or maybe in the movies... who knows? I shouldn't be dogging the 10 & 2 method though... just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean that it won't necessarily work for somebody else (obviously). People should use what works best for them. I'm just glad they got me out of the habit before it came one too hard to break. I was really starting to get frustrated there for a while thinking maybe I would never pick it up.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Our club has classes for beginner fly fishing, saltwater fly fishing, beginner fly tying, advanced fly tying, saltwater fly tying and rod building.
The beginner fly fishing class has about 8 hours (4 nights) classroom instruction plus a day at a pond for casting instruction and another day on-stream with a mentor.
$40 for members, $50 non-members.
I'm usually an on-stream mentor and it's as fun a day on the water as any I have all year.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

10 & 2. Works for slower rods- it gives the rod time to load. Not a crock, but it does have it's place.
I think local small shhops are limited on time and have to charge more for lessons. Places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Orvis, and other chains can afford to bring in bigger names for no cost to you or others. AND, (my opinion only) every instructor is different- personality and talent wise.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Yea... I shouldn't have said 10 & 2 was a crock (I should have worded that differently). I should have just said me and a couple of other people found that it wasn't really working for us and we didn't know why until we were shown a different (not necessarily better but different) approach that lead to better casting for *us*. That does not mean it would be better for other people though... so use what you were taught or what you think is best for *you*.