The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Little Forum get together near Louisville today.

well today me and fellow forum memeber gatortransplant met up for the first time to do some fishing. We had planned this for awhile but didnt have plans set till recently. It was decided to fish my home waters at Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area near Ft Knox KY. The weather was a bit cold but managable, we wernt able to get on the water till close to 6pm so unfortuneatly we only had about an hour to fish. AJ brung some custom crawfish flys he made which look great in the water and I cant wait to try the one I got. He also had another custom fly that got the only catch of the evenening a small catfish. Ill let him explain . I had a strikes but after trying several flys I had no luck. but a good time was had, and hopefully in the near future will be able to meet up again to explore more of the creek, or maybe next time Ill get up the the falls of the ohio where AJ has been fishing. ok enough of my rambling on, heres the photos.

Click the image to open in full size.

no skunk today! weeew!

me trying...

I was testing out a water housing for my SLR, it works good, I think it might affect the focus a little, but not bad results.
Mike
Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little Forum get together near Louisville today.

Good to hear about your meeting with gator for some fishing Mike. I haven't met a forum member face to face yet, but hoping to next year.

Was gator using liver when he caught the catfish...

Dave
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Good to hear about your meeting with gator for some fishing Mike. I haven't met a forum member face to face yet, but hoping to next year.

Was gator using liver when he caught the catfish...

Dave
nope, once he finds the thread ill let him explain the fly he used. I had told him I had a catfish on a popper in the spot this one was caught, but mine came off the hook a few weeks ago. could of been the same fish. With anyluck ill catch him again when he's a little bigger so I can cook em up.
mike
Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's cool Mike, if you guys are ever in the area here you better get in touch with me. It gets lonely here, that's why I have all you guys to chat with.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

It was certainly a great get-together, albeit cut a little short since I unfortunately was very busy yesterday. The fly on which I caught the catfish looks like this:
The special thing about it is my fiancee tied it. I made her tie a wooly bugger first just to get the hang of things, then she just started grabbing materials and tying them on. I thought that based on its color it may do well with smallmouth, but when Mike mentioned the catfish I decided to swing it low through the hole on a polyleader to see if I could interest the catfish. I thought the bite was a snag-up but then realized the snag was coursing back and forth through the water. I'll certainly never hear the end of it, but if it keeps my fiancee interested in tying, I'll keep casting 'em out there I just wished we had got a picture of the fly's action in the water before I lost it to a snag, it looked great!

David: It's funny you should ask, I think Karah palmered some liver on to the fly...

Ard: We'd be happy to fish with you! I just have to get a hold of the tickets, the free time isn't the problem. However, I don't doubt that I'll make it up there in the next few years, more than likely with my personal fly-tier in tow.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM

it sure did look great in the water, it probley looked a bit crawfishy.. but then again I had a catfish strike in that hole on a popper. It sure would be awsome to make it up to Alaska someday. A friend of mine used to go up once a year for halibut and salmon, I was lucky enough to get some of the halibut to eat() This meet up was a short indeed, I only showed gator 1% of the creek. it looks like this week will be warm again so I hope to get back on the creek to test that crawfish pattern gator tied, maybe by then the water will clear up a bit. would be cool to have a bigger meetup some place in the near future. glad you had a good time AJ, sure glad you caught something.
mike
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Congratulations, Guys. As you may(I,m sure gator is) be aware the local branch of the FFF meet up now and again (next one planned for 23 October) and have a great time fishing for trout, but fly fishing for catfish really intrigues me as they now have catfish in england-whether the fishery owners allow people to fly fish for them I don,t know, but maybe it,s time someone asked to find out... What I,m mainly talking about is it,s great getting together and finding out what people actually Look and Sound like and making new like-minded friends. I absolutely LOVE it!
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Here's the very first of the crayfish I tied up (my seventh fly tied ever), photo by Mike:
The pattern was rather BSed, but it looked pretty good in the water. The main problem I found with it was it needed more weight, so I picked up lead wire to wrap the hook shank and started using zonkers for the claws to suck up some water and add weight and will be experimenting with the new pattern soon. I'll also be making up some mono eyes soon and attaching those.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM

one thing i noticed Aj on the pattern the smaller one I got from you the hook is pretty tight where the barbell is tied in. I wonder if the pattern can be tied with the open hook at the top, might make the snagging a bit less. I also found some tiny spilt shots to help it sink faster.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 PM

The fly is supposed to run hook up. If that is actually what happens, who knows, haha. If that's not what you mean, then I'm confused