The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping Track of Fly Lines?

I have accumulated enough fly reels, extra spools, and associated fly lines that I've found it's hard to remember which reel or spool is loaded with which fly line. I pull out a reel, and wonder, "Is that the WF5F, or the DT5F, or the WF5S?" etc.

What do folks do to keep track of which reel is loaded with which line?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Keeping Track of Fly Lines?

Hi Kai,

I use stickers that I buy at an office supply store. They come in many sizes, shapes and colors. I use small round ones. Most spools have clearance on the back side of the spool to put the sticker. I write size, weight, floating or sinking and anything else I need to identify what line it is. You can use color tabs for different types of lines. For instance, White for floating, Green for sinking, Blue for sink-tip. With a color system you just need to write the weight down. Just use you imagination and make it simple so you don't forget what your code means.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

It seems like most of the lines I buy (mostly Orvis) come with small ID stickers that I put on the back of the spool, otherwise I do what Frank said. I also usually add the date that I changed the line to the sticker, that way I know how old the line is, etc.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I tried the stick on tags but they invaribly come off. Now
I have one of those cheap neoprene cases for all the reels & spools I use & I magic marker the info on the inside of the case. This also keeps the reels in good shape. Since I fish the salt I have to take the line off the reels & rinse out the salt occasionally so I have to keep everything together to keep track of whats what, but if you only fish fresh water it's no problem with the marked cases.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Kai,

On reels or spools that I "put in storage", I wind the fly line around a large coffee can (or similar) and then place the spool or reel in the can and put a masking tape label on it. The large diameter of the can keeps the line from taking a set from the spool and with the backing still connected to the line, the reel/spool stays safe and clean from dust, etc. It only takes a minute to do and then another minute to put the reel back in commission.

Joe
Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use the stickers also, but the new Orvis line has stretching neoprene band with the line marked on it that is pretty cool. Keeps the line from coming off the spool also.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

So far, I have not got to that point that I couldn't keep track. I have 4, 5, and 7wt rods , 4 reels with only 2 extra spools. I know which reels go with each rod and I only have one full sink and one sink tip. Everything else is WF floating.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

I have a 7, 8, 9# and one spare spool for each. I use shooting heads on my 9# they are color coded and in a wallet marked with permanent marker. as for the 7 and 8 I have floating on one spool and sinking on the other. The spare spools are marked with stickers with the size. Usually the floating line is on the reel.