The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Tapers do we Really Need????

I agree - just figure out what you need to get the experience you want and don't worry about the other stuff. Some folks like complexity and get into different tapers, the newest this and that and they find a lot of pleasure in it. Others find pleasure in simplicity. (and others are limited by budget!) It's the same in any hobby some like complexity and some simplicity. No right or wrong, maybe it's how we're wired. If people didn't buy the stuff the companies wouldn't keep making it, so obviously some people want it.

I wonder, does the endless experimenting with different tapers slowly change what we consider a run of the mill line taper? Maybe we don't all want to buy different lines for different fish, but, 20 years from now, we will benefit from developments made on the bleeding edge today?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
It's time for my yearly fly line order. I just spent 20 minutes on RIO's website and I now have a migraine! I'm ok with a cold water line and a warm water line and few different tapers for different applications but do we really need a line for every species on earth????
I've decided to capitalize on this marketing strategy and come up with a few lines we can actually use, sort of like a Jay Leno List:

1. The classic stuck in a tree fly line (CSIT). For those of us who have a better chance of snagging a bird than landing a fish. Available in 1-8WT, will be measured by "hang time" rather than sink rate.

2. The just get it out there fly line (JGIOT). For us salt guys who just need to get it out past the surf. Form, loops, line speed, I don't care just get over that wave.

3. The intentionally crappy fly line (ICFL). Some times we just don't catch fish, it's definately not our fault! This line will stand up to verbal and physical abuse well and you don't have to worry about it since it's a crappy line anyway.

4. Dust Repellant Taper (DRT). Specifically designed to repel dust while it sits in the closet with the other 45 different lines that you "NEED". (designed by AUSABLEBROWN)

To get a discount please use the following promo code when ordering: itsreallyslowatworktoday.
This is, in my not so humble opinion, the post of the year. I love it!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Ok, let me try and take a crack at this game:

Terribly Expensive Disappointment (TED)

Designed for the perfect cast, every time, on every rod, except the rod you own. As an added bonus, this line costs 30% more than most other lines on the market.

Endorsed by Insert Semi-Famous Fisherman Here (EIS-FFH)
Hey, this guy uses it. You want to be like him, right? So what if he's a notorious hack with poor casting form and halitosis, psoriasis, and dandruff? He's famous. Sorta.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

I have 2-4 wts, 2-6 wts and a 8 wt systems. The lighter rods all have inexpensive wf lines on them. Bought the reel already loaded with a wf line so I don't have details on that. In all probability, that's an inexpensive line also.

Haven't used the 8 wt since I bought the new reel. It's a very old fiberglass rod. Haven't been in any waters where I expect to need it yet. Most likely to use one of the 4's. Why two you ask?

They are Shakespeare 7'-6" rods and were on clearance at WalMart for $10 and three months later $5. Having grandchildren, I thought they might be good rods to break them in on. Somehow the grandchildren have never touched the fly rods. I ended up buying inexpensive spinning combos for them.

The Shakespeare are great pan fish and stocked trout rods. One of the two 6's is an old Diawa graphite and gives me fits casting till I get use to it again. The other is a new Redington Crosswater that I really like. Hence the Diawa isn't used much.

I need to buy better quality lines to see if I get improved performance, but funds are always short.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Amen brother Swirl.....I feel your pain. I love Rio line, but the vast array of offerings in mind boggling! Throw into the mix SA, Orvis, Wulff, Teeny, and the plethora of others, and it gets positively rediculous. How about Yellowstone doing a "shootout" on all the different lines? Pick three of four rods of one weight....say a six, and test the multitude of lines on them. I would bet a dollar to a donut that the performance results would be amazingly similar for the various tapers.

I have one extra spool for each of my reels (okay I have more than a few reels). One with a WF-floater, and the other with a WF-sinker. So far I haven't felt deprived no matter what species I fish for.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I agree with you guys, the majority of all this is marketing. My idea of a good quality line is one that last me about 10 years! I don't get too wrapped up in the specs!

Swirlchaser, funny stuff! :

Most of the lines I own I bought on sale or on Ebay. I have a line that is supposed to be designed for Salmon & Steelhead, I bought it cheap, and a line designed with a Bass taper. Frankly, I can't see any difference in the way they cast.

I have a Striper taper line too, and it does cast longer distances than the Bass taper, at least for me. Perhaps it's a bit heavier, I don't know. I really don't care, for the fishing I do, I can usually get the fly to the fish with any of these lines, as long as the fish are there.

On my 3 wt is a line I've had about 10 years. It's a Cortland line, a factory second WF-F, that I bought from a Cortland sales rep at a show. It had some discoloration to the line, nothing else wrong with it. I can't complain about it one bit!

I feel the same way about rod tapers. Sure, the rod makers are always coming up with new materials, and ways to combine them to get a better casting rod, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference with most of them!

Baitcasting & spinning rods are the same way, especially bass rods. There are a bunch of them designed to be technique specific. I have several of different lengths & actions that I use for different types of fishing. I can catch some fish with any of them!

I'll add rods when I need one, or have bought them when I find a great deal, like two Redington Crosswater 9 wts I bought recently, but generally I've been using the same rods for a long time, and will continue to do so! I buy new fly lines when I get a new rod, but this time the rods were complete outfits. Unless I see the need, I'll stick with the lines that came with the rods.

Some guys I know are always buying new rods, some every year, replace their old ones for the newest, latest greatest to come on the market. Everyone wants the lightest & most sensitive rods! I'm pretty much happy with what I have!

I would guess that some folks do the same with fly lines! I know some of the bass guys do it with new lines that are introduced, especially the tournament guys! They all want that edge!

Good for the businesses that sell them I guess, especially in the current economy!

Must be nice to have that kind of money to spend! Wish I did, but my wife would likely have other ideas about spending it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
This is, in my not so humble opinion, the post of the year. I love it!
Thanks Mojo!!

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post

...I have a Striper taper line too, and it does cast longer distances than the Bass taper, at least for me. Perhaps it's a bit heavier, I don't know. I really don't care, for the fishing I do, I can usually get the fly to the fish with any of these lines, as long as the fish are there...
I agree, I have a "Striper" 9WT line as well. It cast's better than a standard 9WT line. I actually casts the same as my 10WT line does on my 9wt rod Go figure...
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

"Here in st. louis I've never caught a bass over 5 lbs so buying a 7-8 wt right now, with just starting out an all seems kind of pointless to me. I wont be hurling anything too huge, maybe some decent size streamers and some poppers on the mineral fork and simaler waters."

First of all there are several components to picking that fly rod. The quarry for instance. A Bass has very hard lips when compared to a trout, hence the phrase, "rip their lips off," applies when hook setting. That lends itself to a stiffer or heavier weight rod, and puts you into the six to seven weight rod.

Second, the flies are bigger with Bass flies ranging from about a size 10 up to a two ought. There again you are in that seven weight rod.

Third, you'll find that poppers and deer hair flies (a favorite) are air resistant and again a bigger rod is needed to get the out "nicely."

Last of all if you should fish the salt, or bigger fresh waters the wind is a factor and wind dictates some rod power. In short get a seven if you want it to happen "nicely,"but if budget or other constraints get in the way use what you have but be prepared for a bit of slop and frustration.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

According to my calculations we need 112 ± 3. How many do we have now?
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I threw flies for several years with level lines. They were cheap and I caught a lot of fish with them. I decided I needed better line so I went to WF lines cause I read that they would cast farther and bigger flies. The first one was a Herter's line and I found it no better than the good levels I had been fishing. So I bought a couple of different lines of high quality. The did cast better and longer and bigger flies but not 8x better. Since that time I have always used good quality WF lines (read that as expensive). A couple of years ago I tried a DT line for my 2wt and I just love it. I doubt that I will give up my saltwater tapers for my heavier rods but the DT cast just great in the small warmwater creeks that I mostly fish. I am considering a DT for my 5wts as well. About a year ago I sucked in on a cheap WF 6. I tried it once in the backyard and never took it fishing but once. Did no cast well at all. I am going to give one more try this summer on a glass rod before putting it in permanent storage.

From my experiance don't buy cheap lines and don't exclude DT lines without trying them especially on lighter rods. They are not just for trout and will cast about as far and as large of fly as the WF in my experiance.

I, for one, do like the various choices of tapers. It may be a little overdone but it is nice to have a choice between a long, medium, and short forward taper. They do have thier uses. I just wish they cost less so I could have one of each.