The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Many Tapers do we Really Need????

It's time for my yearly fly line order. I just spent 20 minutes on RIO's website and I now have a migraine! I'm ok with a cold water line and a warm water line and few different tapers for different applications but do we really need a line for every species on earth????
I've decided to capitalize on this marketing strategy and come up with a few lines we can actually use, sort of like a Jay Leno List:

1. The classic stuck in a tree fly line (CSIT). For those of us who have a better chance of snagging a bird than landing a fish. Available in 1-8WT, will be measured by "hang time" rather than sink rate.

2. The just get it out there fly line (JGIOT). For us salt guys who just need to get it out past the surf. Form, loops, line speed, I don't care just get over that wave.

3. The intentionally crappy fly line (ICFL). Some times we just don't catch fish, it's definately not our fault! This line will stand up to verbal and physical abuse well and you don't have to worry about it since it's a crappy line anyway.

4. Dust Repellant Taper (DRT). Specifically designed to repel dust while it sits in the closet with the other 45 different lines that you "NEED". (designed by AUSABLEBROWN)

5. Terribly Expensive Disappointment (TED) Designed for the perfect cast, every time, on every rod, except the rod you own. As an added bonus, this line costs 30% more than most other lines on the market. (designed by KEVINTHEBASSMAN)

6. Endorsed by Insert Semi-Famous Fisherman Here (EIS-FFH). Hey, this guy uses it. You want to be like him, right? So what if he's a notorious hack with poor casting form and halitosis, psoriasis, and dandruff? He's famous. Sorta. (designed by KEVINTHEBASSMAN)

To get a discount please use the following promo code when ordering: itsreallyslowatworktoday.
fysh and rccola712 like this.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 10-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Many Tapers do we Really Need????

Your list is funny and it's too bad about your headache but, yes, we need lots of tapers. Fish specific is just a naming stratagy. I like RIO Tarpon Taper (1/2 size heavy) on certain powerful rods for both bonefish and spring stripers on the flats... It is more about fine tuning varied rod actions and accomodating different presentation techniques why diverse line tapers are developed. I actually would like SA, Cortland and Airflo to provide the detailed information on taper design and first 30' grain weight that RIO offers to help us all compare apples to apples. No, you don't have to buy them all but more informed choices are a very good thing.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been flyfishing for about 6 years now and I can honestly say that every time I go into the cabinet filled with flylines I choose the same 4-5 lines everytime. I throw away the boxes, rarely memorize specs. It may just be the type of fishing I do but to me the subtle differences are lost when I fish.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
It's time for my yearly fly line order. I just spent 20 minutes on RIO's website and I now have a migraine! I'm ok with a cold water line and a warm water line and few different tapers for different applications but do we really need a line for every species on earth????
I've decided to capitalize on this marketing strategy and come up with a few lines we can actually use, sort of like a Jay Leno List:

1. The classic stuck in a tree fly line (CSIT). For those of us who have a better chance of snagging a bird than landing a fish. Available in 1-8WT, will me measure by "hang time" rather than sink rate.

2. The just get it out there fly line (JGIOT). For us salt guys who just need to get it out past the surf. Form, loops, line speed, I don't care just get over that wave.

3. The intentionally crappy fly line (ICFL). Some times we just don't catch fish, it's definately not our fault! This line will stand up to verbal and physical abuse well and you don't have to worry about since it's a crappy line anyway.

To get a discount please use the following promo code when ordering: itsreallyslowatworktoday.
I’ve always known that I buy great gear, I’ve got all three of those tapers, thanks for making my day.

Rick
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
I’ve always known that I buy great gear, I’ve got all three of those tappers, thanks for making my day.

Rick
Anytime Rick, your not alone. I only sell what I know, I have all three as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I try not to fall prey to marketing ploys, but at the same time I try not to write anything off without a good thought either. I think this one is out of control. There is a smallmouth bass line???? What the heck difference is there between casting a 4" streamer to a big trout, or to a big smallie???Same rod, same reel, same size fly and same presentation...the only need for this smallmouth line is their need to make another $75. Who "needs" it; IMO nobody "needs" a smallmouth line.

Howbout this one...the "DRT"

Dust Repellant Taper...Specifically designed to repel dust while it sits in the closet with the other 45 different lines that you "NEED".
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM

or a Carp line...

One of my go to saltwater lines is the RIO Outbound. They now have a new Rio Outbound Short (it has a shorter head). I've had one for years, it's called the line I got stuck between two rocks on the AVON Jetty.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The 'need' driving this is the company's need to make money. If they can convince folks to buy a different taper for every different fish, then hey, why not make them? If they can make money off it, good for them, and maybe somebody thinks it helps.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
The 'need' driving this is the company's need to make money. If they can convince folks to buy a different taper for every different fish, then hey, why not make them? If they can make money off it, good for them, and maybe somebody thinks it helps.
It may help but is it worth $75??? I'll give you an example, I have atleast one rod in every Wt from a 1-11 and lines to match them. I use a 6wt when I fish largemouth Bass. A "Bass" line with and aggressive tapper will certainly help me turm over poppers and big flies, but a 7WT line will do the same thing. I used the same 6wt when I Carp fish. A "Carp" line has a much less aggressive taper giving it a softer presentation. Guess what? I get the same presentation when I use a 5WT on the 6wt rod. Why buy a species specific line when you probably already own a line that will give you the same results?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I am with you on the insanity of all this. I trout fish; dry fly, wet fly, nymph. I toss streamers. I've been fly fishing for 15 years or something like that.

I have a 2 WT a 4WT and a 6 WT, all WF lines, but I'm sure they are all different. I had a cheap line my 6 WT and thought I hated the rod (once I learned to cast, I've had that rod for a while) but then put a better line on it and there is a difference.

I fish for trouts in freestones and tailwaters, cricks and sloughs and sometimes a small lake. I use the same damn line every day I fish. The LAST thing I want to worry about is the specific taper of my line.

Learn to cast your rod and line and then go try to catch fish! Enough of the "industry" telling and selling what we "need". I makes me sick.