The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oily Utah

Well I admit, the Gulf has a much worse problem but this past month Salt Lake City has its own OIL SPILL
SALT LAKE CITY OIL SPILL: Chevron says oil leaked from hole in pipeline - KSTU

The stretch of river that I fish is now closed to the public. A couple of weeks ago, I was walking Baxter and I could smell the oil. Like the news stated, smells like a gas station.
I looked at the river from the bridge and thought....no way, what the heck. You could see the brown gooey stuff every where, plus that rainbow effect on the water.
Here is a picture taken last week:

Click the image to open in full size.

Being all bumbed and seeing my golden babies rolling around in the grass and not being able to fish for them.

Well, today I got on the bike, loaded my gear and headed south away from the contaminated area.
Found a great spot and for two hours, I had a major work out. These fish have so much power, plus the current AND the grass.
I ended up hooking 8, playing them for several minutes, and having them come off at the bank...which was cool, because I was on a 3' high cliff.
I did jump down to the lower level on 3 of them.
I was using floating line with 12lb fluorocarbon for the leader/tippet.
8 weight Winston BIIx and windcutter 2 line. Fly was one I call the Big Ugly. The hook is like 3" long with a big gold bead. Body is Yellow, Orange, with a little black sparkle chenille. Yellow and Black Marabou tail and Yellow rubber legs:

" title="Jordan River :: 100_0084.mp4 video by FlyGoddess - Photobucket" target="_blank">Jordan River :: 100_0084.mp4 video by FlyGoddess - Photobucket
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oily Utah

Hi Joni,
Too many people, too many cars, too many accidents waiting to happen, and not many people willing to give up the easy life. How much oil was used in the
making of your (all of our) fly rods, reels, lines, etc. Granted, that stuff should last a long time, much longer than burning a few gallons of fuel to drive somewhere. My wife is always bugging me to take a road trip to some unknown location to go fishing. Fine, but don't complain about oil spills, fuel prices, etc.

When you say "bike", is that a Harley or a Schwinn??? Cool fish!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

How do you like that winston?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank2...Bicycle. Gave up the Harley when cars kept trying to run a BRIGHT RED full dresser WITH Fish tail pipes(meaning, what you can't see, you will hear) off the road.
I have a rack off the back of my bicycle in which I attach net and Rod case. In the basket on the front, my sling with all my gear.

fishtaco...an 8wt that feels like a 5wt.....I absolutely love that rod.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bravo on using the bicycle to go fishing, Joni!!!! We lived in Ocean City, NJ for the better part of the 1990's, and most used my bike almost exclusively for
transportation.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM

The river has a bike and walking trail, so the bike is really the best option (for packing the gear and longer distances)
This trail is getting longer every year. Right now it goes from Bountiful to Draper. It is a straight run for the most part so very easy to cover several miles.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Joni, Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experiences and fishing tips.

Hopefully that river will clean up yet this season.....

Best Regards, Boser