The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Keep the Old or Use the new-
Use the old one- it has character and likely the smell will keep crowds away. 11 57.89%
Use the new one- the old one is nasty. 1 5.26%
makes no difference..... 2 10.53%
Jesus, that dog is big. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Old Vest or New Vest, that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Be it bird hunting or fly fishing togs, I'm big on spares. That is, let's say I have a vest (for either pasttime) that I love. One day, it will literally fall off my shoulders. So, I maintain a constant vigil for duplicates. When I find one, I buy it, and hang it in the closet for the day it's needed. My well-buried point is that I really don't like much of what is being produced these days in the way of "technical" sporting attire (who the heck ever came up with that marketing ploy?) so when I find a new old stock item that I like, I snatch it up.

Everyone that knows me knows how much I dislike change. Buying spares is my little insurance program that helps me keep changes to a minimum.

Curmudgeonly yours,
Gary
I'm with Gary on this. My favorite (of many) vests is the WJ Fusion Vest, now discontinued. I made sure to buy several spares when it was discontinued. However, bought Mediums, since WJ vests run large for their size. Like Liphookedau, I find that all these vests - even those unused spares - mysteriously seem to shrink over time
Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Vest or New Vest, that is the question

How about replacing the velcro? I'm sure the local laundry knows a seamstress that would replace it...

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I have a friend that has a grundle of money. He always has a new pair of waders, vest, rod, reel, boots, etc. It's all high quality stuff too. You might look at him and think with all that good new gear he must know what he's doing, Well he does not. If he was fishing to put meals on the table he would have starved to death years ago. I also have a friend that has not bought a new piece of gear in at least 10 years. He catches fish like no one I have ever seen.

My theory is.... lots of new gear= horrible fisherman, Quality gear that is beat to hell=good fisherman. My vote is to keep the old vest as long as it hold out for you.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

Pass the old gear on to an appreciative young'un just getting into the sport and start making memories in the new gear.