The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Seeking info....

Long time no post.....sorry

I've got my eye on a toon (Fish Cat 9 IR) for mostly stillwater and perhaps some light small river work.

Does anybody have experience with this particular toon and if so, pro's con's and all comments appreciated....

Respects......Fishstick
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seeking info....

I just bought a 9, last years model and have not used it yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to put a wheel on it.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fishstick,

I don't own a Fish Cat but do have experience with a similar boat. The Fish cat 9 IR looks good and has some good things going for it. The best of which is it is made by Outcast. Their boats have a very good reputation. I think the 9' length is about right for a one-man boat. You will appreciate the rocker design if you fish rivers. You will be able to spin it with little effort. It has good valves. Here are some things to think about.

1. It is a steel frame and if it gets scratched it will rust. You can control this by keep you eye out for scratches and repairing them. It is powder coated and the paint is tough. There are other boats with Aluminum or Stainless frames. I like stainless.

2. It looks like there is only one position for the oars. If the seat is adjustable that shouldn't be a problem.

3. The top fabric is 600 denier PVC and the bottom is 900. Some boats have a heavier fabric. I don't know that this is a problem.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
I just bought a 9, last years model and have not used it yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to put a wheel on it.
Hi Mitch,

Here is a wheel that Buck's Bags sells. Maybe it will give you an idea.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/attachments/f75/266d1162177631t-mikecurtispontoonboat.jpg[/img2] I've got few of these that I could let go cheep.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

HAHA. Nice one
Old 04-18-2007, 01:13 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Creel View Post
[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/attachments/f75/266d1162177631t-mikecurtispontoonboat.jpg[/img2] I've got few of these that I could let go cheep.
Only if you throw in an anchor.....
Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Creel View Post
Steve! That boat rocks! Do you have a wheel for that one? What is the warrenty? *LOL*

Frank, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out their site for the wheel. FYI, the seat does adjust on the F.C. 9. No matter what I do wheel wise, I'm going to have to have some kind of bar or bracket welded on the frame.
Thanks!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
Frank, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out their site for the wheel. FYI, the seat does adjust on the F.C. 9. No matter what I do wheel wise, I'm going to have to have some kind of bar or bracket welded on the frame.
Thanks!
Mitch,

How are you using your pontoon that you need a wheel? Mine is light enough that I can handle it with out a wheel. The places I fish you can drive up to the water to launch.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

This is how I transport my pontoon. This is taken at the San Juan in new Mexico.