The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Warranty Cards...Send them in or keep them?

I am a gear junky - fly fishing or electronics.......gotta have it. As a result, I buy fly rods and reels that I end up selling a year or two later. (yes, I know, waste of money, but I like new equipment and this is my only vice....)

Anyway, when I buy something, I have always submitted the warranty card right away b/c some companies have a deadline for when they will consider the item under warranty. I am afraid that when I don't send in the card, something will break and then I'll have to pay for the repair.

When I sell equipment, people always ask if I have the card. Not having it has not prevented me from receiving my asking price for the item,.....although perhaps I could have sold it faster.....

So is it always necessary to send those cards in right after purchasing something or is it "safe" to hang onto them until something breaks and then send it in with the item?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warranty Cards...Send them in or keep them?

I've never sent a warranty card in. I mean never. So far I haven't had a warranty repair refused.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Producty registration and warranty cards: A marketing gold mine

"If the product comes with a full warranty, the manufacturer cannot require you to return the registration card," says Jean Fox of Consumer Federation of America.

But if it's a limited warranty, as is the case most often, says Fox, then the manufacturer may require you to return the card.

"As long as it's stated as a condition in the warranty. If they require you to prove the date of purchase, they have to state that in the warranty"

Should You Send In Your Warranty/Registration Card? Endless Years: Photography, Video, & Gadgets for Boomers & Their Families

" But, you donít need to have sent a warranty/registration card to have something repaired. Yet, you must be prepared in order to take it to the next level if something is wrong. If youíve sent in the warranty card youíre set. However, if you didnít itís going to require that you make a copy of your Bill of Sale showing that the product failed during the warranty period. This must be included when you either take it or send your product in for repair. Sometimes a phone call to the manufacturer is required so that you can get the RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number that goes on the outside of the return box. This, of course, requires that you have an efficient system for filing and retrieving these things.'

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I've never sent a warranty card in. I mean never. So far I haven't had a warranty repair refused.
Ditto. For anything I've bought, I've never sent in the warranty card and have always had the manufacturer fix it.

I'm also not as concerned with getting the card when buying used gear.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I sent my Hardy Marquis Salmon #1 to Hardy/Greys North America because a rivet came loose. The card was in the box with the 2yr old reel. I paid for the part,repair and shipping both ways; I thought I had to because I hadn't sent the card to England at the time of purchase (didn't figure a Hardy would let me down). Guess I'm a sucker.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm in the camp of 'always send it in,' or do it on line. The one thing I do do is check the 'it was a gift' boxie thing. '

'Do you have proof of purchase Mr. Evans?'

The added bennie of the electronic registration is you can save a copy of that on your hard drive AND (as always been the case to date) the e-mail confirmation.

fae
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies! I never thought about sending a copy of the receipt as proof of original ownership/date of purchase - I actually have all of my receipts for my fly fishing gear (don't know why I save them for fly fishing and kayaking, but not for anything else, but...........)
Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Some of the warranties are for original owner only and so holding it makes no sense. Some rods have to be purchased from an authorized dealer to be honored for warranty. So I think you need to know your warranty before you decide if you want to hold the warranty card.

Frank
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I send them in.