The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
How many do you take ?

I had put the thread up the other day about wading,
or fishing from a boat. Now I have a related question
to put forth to everyone.

No matter which you prefer wading, or boat how many
rods do you take with you for an outing ? ( I know that
it may depend on what size fish your after, or what size
flies your using. ) Two, three, more ?? ( Wading can make
it a little tuff to carry multiple rods. )

Do you also have additional spools for the same rod with
different fly lines ? ( floating, sink tip )

For me, since I now have a drift boat, I will be taking no less
than two along. I've recently purchased my last piece of fly
fishing equipment a Ross CLA 1.5 for my 4wt Sage FLi ( yes,
I did promise that to my wife ) so when I'm out after trout I
will be taking a 4wt for dries, 5wt for nymphs & my 7wt to
throw big sculpin flies.

What are your preferences ?

Get out & fish,

Tie One On
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many do you take ?

I usually only take one rod; two at the most. I usually asses where I'm going and the weather and determine what weight line I'll use. My fishing trips usually last a few hours, half day at the most. I guess if I were going to fish multiple locations and multiple species of fish then I may use two rods and three lines. I try to keep things as simple as I can. If I bring two rods usually one stays in the truck.
Some outings I bring the wrong rod just to challenge myself. For example, I may take a light weight, short rod out just to practice casting for distance. I may also take a long rod on small stream to practice my backcast control. In addition I may fish wet flies when the trout are hitting dries quite readily. That can be fun because you know the trout are there and the challenge is catching them using your best technique.
I guess using one rod may come from growing up with only one rod. I had to make the best of it. If the wind blew too hard then I would have to find a sheltered area. If the line weight was too heavy then I had to become more stealthy with my casts, make shorter casts or use a longer leader.
I guess the best thing is use them if you got them and use them if that's what ou want to do.
Now the ice has finally melted I'm waiting for the floods to reside.
Good Luck Fishing.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I take two. My main rod and a backup.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

On rivers, two also. Fish one leave one in vehicle for back up. But I have takend two out on numerous occasion with one with floating and one with a sinking. Mostly I do this if I am pressed for time and don't want to be changing line out in the middle of a good run.
On my Pontoon and float tube, 3 to 4 rods and reels all set up. One floating with either a tapered leader for dries or just flouro for deep nymphing, second one with Intermediate line, third with a TYPE II or III and forth rod with Depth Charge 250 grain or TYPE VII.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I will generally have 2 or 3 rods with me on a trip, but only one when I'm wading. I've actually even got one rod that works as a spinning rod as well. (Better than it does as a fly rod, to be honest. But my god those big rings shoot line well.)

I have rigged up a bandolier type carrier to have an extra rod rigged up on my back and pointing out over my non-casting shoulder (loop of parachute cord diagonally across torso with loop for rod butt, wife's hair rubber band rigged with cable tie in top part to hold the blank), but I think its more trouble than its worth. On the flats it might be different, but getting through any mildly brushy area with that rod rigged that way mostly sucks.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

i only take one rod. that may be because i only have one rod lol
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjguy07 View Post
i only take one rod. that may be because i only have one rod lol
You could have spiced it up by putting it, "I take all I own" and left us guess how many LOL
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

I usually have 3 along, but only one with me on the water. The other two stay in the truck. When drifting I'll usually keep one or two backups in the boat.

Bruce
Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
You could have spiced it up by putting it, "I take all I own" and left us guess how many LOL
Then I would have had to ask what size trailer do you pull when you go fishing?

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 AM

AKWildBows is on a distinguished road

When I am hiking a long ways somewhere to fish I usally take two. When I am in a boat I like to have three. Two of them with different set ups and one as a backup.