The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Guided trip and how to tip the guide?

Hi all,

Have my FIRST guided fly fishing trip coming up in a few weeks. It will be a DAY trip with lunch provided.

What is the "norm" for trips of this nature in Tipping the guide for his services?

Thanks!!

Gordon in NC
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guided trip and how to tip the guide?

Here are 4 threads dedicated to this question, with over 60 replies. Maybe there is info here that can help.

Gratuities for Guides

So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?

Proper Tipping for Guides?

How much to tip a guide?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

THANKS !!

Just the info I was asking for !!

Best of the day to all ...

Gordon in NC
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to ask the question here instead of going back to one of the other threads. After reading through all of them a question keeps coming up in my mind. What am I paying for when I hire a guide that I also have to give them a tip? I pay for their time, experience, knowledge etc. I hope they are giving me their best. If not, I won't go back. If so I would consider booking again.
I tip in restaurants because they make minimum wage. I tip the valet so they take care of my car (again they are probably making minimum wage). The guide is hopefully setting a high enough price that he is making a nice profit that I shouldn't have to tip. Am I missing something???
Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
I'm going to ask the question here instead of going back to one of the other threads. After reading through all of them a question keeps coming up in my mind. What am I paying for when I hire a guide that I also have to give them a tip? I pay for their time, experience, knowledge etc. I hope they are giving me their best. If not, I won't go back. If so I would consider booking again.
I tip in restaurants because they make minimum wage. I tip the valet so they take care of my car (again they are probably making minimum wage). The guide is hopefully setting a high enough price that he is making a nice profit that I shouldn't have to tip. Am I missing something???
Im with you here on this one...

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
Then don't tip your guides. It's your gig and there are nearly as many opinions as fishermen. If you want to know what most guys think about how much and under what circumstances, then read the threads and the info is there.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I'm just trying to understand why most people feel that they should tip and why they don't feel that they already "paid" for the service upfront.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few theories on it.

One is that guides that work through fly shops have a chunk of the money go to the shop. This could be totally false, but I've gotten a sense that some shops have a bunch of guides they draw from who might not be on salary, but who get a % of the guide charge made through the shop, so the tip is meant to go directly to the guide to supplement their %. Perhaps someone will disabuse me of this idea.

A second is that the tip is a dynamic part of the payment - guides that do well get more. It's a way of showing appreciation for a good experience. The fee you pay covers the hours out, equipment used, etc etc, but the tip related to more intangible parts of the experience. I was with a guide last month and he was a great guy and a great teacher in addition to getting us to fish, knowing what flies to use, , etc, etc.

I also wonder if the fees they charge assume some level of tip will be given. That is to say, if there was a big movement to not tip, the fees would go up. I'd guess this happens in restaurants, the wages assume tips. If there weren't tips, the wages (thus prices) would have to rise to keep people willing to do the work for the money they get paid.

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The equipment you're using, drift boat, rods and reels, flies, etc, has to be paid for along with insurance, both property and liability; plus license fees to guide. If he's working out of a shop he gets a percentage of what your trip cost, tips help him pay his expenses.

Dan
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
The equipment you're using, drift boat, rods and reels, flies, etc, has to be paid for along with insurance, both property and liability; plus license fees to guide. If he's working out of a shop he gets a percentage of what your trip cost, tips help him pay his expenses.

Dan
I guess that makes sense, but does the same apply for an independent guide where he keeps all the funds?

Lee