The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM

cattech84 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie rod??

Hey guys, I'm new to flyfishing and still trying to wrap my head around everything. I live in west Virginia, and I was wondering what weight/length rod I should get?. Like I said I'm new, so please go easy on me. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie rod??

It really depends on what you'll be fishing for but a good all-around outfit to start with is a 9 foot 5wt medium action rod/reel combo such as the Redington Crosswater sold by Reelflyrod.com advertised on this forum. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I agree, the 9ft 5 weight is a good starting choice. If you think that mountain trout in smaller streams will be your passion I would move more toward a 8 ft 4 weight as the shorter length and lighter weight make small streams more fun.

A quick point to think on as you begin your journey- a medium action rod versus a fast action rod will be easier for a new fly fisher to feel the rod load. Gaining this ability is key to becoming a proficient caster as feeling the rod load up on the back cast is central to the timing of the forward cast.

If you can attend a group casting lesson it would be great and watch videos on the interwebs. Then head out into your yard or local park and practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

The Allen rod's are always a good choice. Justin has excellent product and excellent customer service.
For WV, 9' 5wt will be your "all around" rod. I agree with the other remarks, medium action will help forgive you as you hone your skills.
Take Russell's advice. Use a piece of yarn as your "fly" and Practice practice practice.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would also recommend a 9' 5 weight rig. there's something about the paring of those two that seems to be conducive to helping a beginning angler get the feel of fly fishing.
depending on your budget, there are a multitude of options out there to choose from.
the redington classic trout combos are pretty nice as are the ross worlwide ones.
if it were me and it fell within my budget, i would take a look at a sage vantage 9' 5 weight rod and match it with a lamson konic 2 reel. add in a wf5 weight floating line from allen fly fishing and you will not only get a setup that will be an incredible rig to learn with, but will be a joy to fish with for years to come

casey

ARFE
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

As the others said, depends on what you are fishing for. That being said, i would suggest a brand for you.

Redington

Quality rods at a good price. Most of their other gear is good too. Waders, reels, wading jackets, etc. Easy on the pocket book. More expensive than some stuff, but the quality is real high.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon me for asking, but other than 5, what's the difference between a cattech84 and a cattech89? curious milt.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 AM

cattech84 is on a distinguished road

Lol milt spawn, cattech84 is me and I was born in 84. Cattech89 was of course born in 89. Plus me and him both work for the same cat dealer her in WV. That's where we got that, plus I don't think he realized thats me since I'm new here to the forum.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Actually I was born in '86. The 89 is the month and day I started as a Cat Technician.
Actually I figured that was you Dusty I just wanted to make sure.

Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I'd go with a 7 ft. 5 wt. for W.V. as a first rod if fishing small rivers. This review sounds like something decent that won't break the bank.
Cabela's 3 Forks 3wt/Prestige Plus Combo I'm sure they have something similar in other weights also.