The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 PM

zstone07 is on a distinguished road
Default old bamboo rod

hello, I have an old, three piece bamboo rod that has

"Ed M. Hunter approved,
8 1/2-HDH"

written above the grip. Can any one tell me about this rod, and is it possible to restore it so that I can fish with it? Its in pretty good condition, the grip looks well used, the only thing is that when I put it together, the tip looks bent to the right. There is also a replacement tip with it, but it also looks like its bent to the right. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: old bamboo rod

HDH indicates a 6 wt DT line...although with bamboo - there can be some variance...try a 5 wt and even a 6wt WF line to see which one works best. I don't recognize the name...perhaps it is the owner.

As for the set in the tip...it can be straightened...but if you have no experience with bamboo I would not try it...better to find someone who has fished bamboo alot or better still someone who makes or restores bamboo...they can also give you a sense of the value of the rod...and if it is worth fixing...if the set is the only problem and the ferrules and reel seat are good and tight there is no reason you can't fish the rod. 8 1/2 ft indicates it is a trout rod.....the 9 ft and longer rods generally are for steelhead, etc.

there is a bamboo forum..... classic fly rod forum...on the web...don't have there address though...they might be able to help you out

Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstone07 View Post
hello, I have an old, three piece bamboo rod that has

"Ed M. Hunter approved,
8 1/2-HDH"

written above the grip. Can any one tell me about this rod, and is it possible to restore it so that I can fish with it? Its in pretty good condition, the grip looks well used, the only thing is that when I put it together, the tip looks bent to the right. There is also a replacement tip with it, but it also looks like its bent to the right. Is there any way to fix this?
The rod you have was built by the Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. The Ed M. Hunter rods were not labeled as Phillipson rods and were sold as private label rods from some hardware stores. The glue lines on your rod should be quite visible due to the type of glue that was used.

Your rod is made for a 6 weight line as stated by wtex50. I have found that some bamboo rods lose some of their stiffness over time and require a lighter line that it was designed for. I would try a 6 or 5 weight before buying any line to make sure you have the weight that your rod will cast best.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 AM

If this is a Phillipson - then you have yourself a good rod..I knew they made some private labels....just didn't recognize the Hunter label....I have a Phillipson Paragon 8 1/2 ft that works perfectly with a 6 wt DT line...but I can also use a 5 wt. Phillipson's were made in Denver from, I think 1951 until they sold to 3M in the early 70's...Bill Phillipson had worked for years for the Granger Rod company. having both tips increases the value...If in decent shape and the sets can be straightened.. you are probably looking at a value in the $250 - 300 range. If you have the original tube and sock the value increases among collectors. the rod is a true Western rod and has a medium fast action......Bamboo is a blast to fish and Phillipson made some great rods....the secret with most bamboo is to slow down...and let the rod load and do the work for you. Good Luck.....by the way always store your bamboo by braking it down...store vertically and make sure it is completely dry before you put the cap tube on....there are a number of sites ou there where you can rad up on care of boo rods. good luck
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 PM

zstone07 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input, I think when I get a little more change in my
pocket I'll get it restored.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM

When you are ready - I can refer you to the guy who restored my Granger...He also does Phillipsons...and is in the DFW area...does awesome work. If you would like me to take a look....send me a private message with your contact info and I'll take a look.....it might not need a full restoration