The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Perfect Headlamp

The headlamp discussion came up a few months back and I then expressed my frustration with not being able to find what I wanted. I DO NOT want a giant lamp with an octopus of straps all over my head. I also DO NOT want something cheap, and I couldn't seem to find anything suitable. I am always wearing a ball cap when I fish, so I was dead set on finding a GOOD clip on light. I tried several hat-clip lights and they were all dissappointing and cheaply made with plastic clips that broke. But here is what I found recently:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a Fenix PD-10. It is just a tad over one ounce with a single CR123 LI battery in it. It is light enough to not sling my hat around when I turn my head, and the METAL spring clip on this light holds it super tight onto the bill of my hat. I'm pretty sure I could take a tumble, or jog through the woods without this even moving.

Best part about this light...three settings 7, 93, and 180 lumens! 7 lumens is about perfect for tying on while your'e standing in the river, and 180 lumens is perfect for...well, I dunno; frying your fishing buddy's retinas if you accidently turn you head towards him! Oh yeah, waterproof and submergible to 8ft.

It is made in CH%#$ but it seems to be a quality product, not cheap either. I got this on steepandcheap.com for 50 something % off and I still paid $27. Well worth it IMO.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Perfect Headlamp

I ended up purchasing the Energizer Trailfinder 360 LED Cap Light at Target. The clip is very strong and I can tilt the light wherever I want without having to move my head up/down to see. From what I remember the cost was under $20.

http://www.energizer.com/SiteCollect...m/ECAP1AAE.jpg
Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
I ended up purchasing the Energizer Trailfinder 360 LED Cap Light at Target. The clip is very strong and I can tilt the light wherever I want without having to move my head up/down to see. From what I remember the cost was under $20.

http://www.energizer.com/SiteCollect...m/ECAP1AAE.jpg
I wish I would have known about that Energizer 360 this summer when I was duct taping my berkely light to my hat in the middle of the night! It sounds like a winner...

Yeah but can it fry a charging Grizzly Bears brain stem by shining it in his eyes! lol

I never tried one of those, but I know the three or 4 that I had did not have a very strong clip; they were all plastic. This one is just a simple, but substantial piece of steel as a clip; and it holds TIGHT!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I never tried one of those, but I know the three or 4 that I had did not have a very strong clip; they were all plastic.

The clip on this is steel mounted into abs plastic. I have a hell of a time getting it on or off of the cap because it creates a very tight secure point. I think your's would work just fine (I'm just cheap )
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
The clip on this is steel mounted into abs plastic. I have a hell of a time getting it on or off of the cap because it creates a very tight secure point. I think your's would work just fine (I'm just cheap )
I thought about that a little more...what is the point of having the light swivel independently of your hat?? Aren't your eyes going to be pointed in roughly the same direction as your hat bill all of the time? I think it would be incredibly more effort to keep your head straight, turn you light with your hands, and then turn your eyes without turning your head to look at where you focused the beam to? Maybe I'm missing something...anyways, not picking on it if you've found it to work, but I'm not seeing the "360" part of this light. Looking at the pic, it does look like a formidable mounting clip.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

How is the PD-10 for weighing down the bill of your cap. I like the looks of the light, but would drive me nuts if after every cast I am having to pull the cap up.

Dave
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
How is the PD-10 for weighing down the bill of your cap. I like the looks of the light, but would drive me nuts if after every cast I am having to pull the cap up.

Dave
I didn't tighten my hat down at all, just wore it like normal and it didn't move. I could tell that it was there, but it did not move my hat. It is smaller than it looks in the picture. A little heavier than the other cheap stuff I tried, but it is a VERY compact light. It runs on ONE c123a lithium battery. Weight without the battery is .85 oz! I don't know what a 123a battery weighs, but it is light enough in all to not be a nuisance.