The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7.5' 3wt Recommendations

txbevo: I sent you a PM!

Larry
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Cliff,
I hope you know I value your opinion and review of the Redington CT.
We Cool.

Quote:
I just want to hear what Dennis has to say about the smaller version.
Me too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 AM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road

Im kinda new to flyfishing and am wondering what a 7.5 3wt would be best used for?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I am looking for recommendations on a shorter (7.5') 3wt to use on smaller mountain streams chasing brookies and cutts that can also double as a sunfish rod for here at home in Texas. I would like it to be a 4 piece as I would like to use it on day hikes. I currently have med-fast to fast action rods in other weights (BIIX, Helios and Scott A3). While I like high end rods, I am not looking to break the bank with this 3wt. It will most likely get the least use out of my arsenal as I only get to the mountains a time or two a year and the wind here is normally too much for using a 3wt on a daily basis. I would like to hear what you guys recommend.
I bet you fish the LMF below Broken Bow lake. I use a TFO 3wt rod pretty much all the time now. I have a 5wt too but like my 3 more. It is a 7' 6" 4 piece rod. Good warranty to boot and the rod will run you around $150.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkadver View Post
Im kinda new to flyfishing and am wondering what a 7.5 3wt would be best used for?
It would primarily be a small stream rod delicately tossing dries and small nymphs (typical of what you would find on small mountain streams). As the casting gets constrained due to overhanging brush you would want to go with a shorter fly rod.

Larry
Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 AM

flyguys is on a distinguished road

It is good to use anywhere that you are not going to have alot of room to cast. Overhead and side bruh or anything ele that might make it a tight squeze.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Cliff,
I hope you know I value your opinion and review of the Redington CT. I just want to hear what Dennis has to say about the smaller version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Me too.
Sorry, guys. Took the girlfriend stillwater fishing at a stocked lake today. When the Calibaetis mayflies started popping, she would not give up her 3 weight CT. She was having too much fun throwing soft hackles at 12 inch stockers.

MP
Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 PM

blacktail53 is on a distinguished road

I just picked up one of the TFO 4 pc 3 weights and an Okuma SLV 2/3.
She's loaded with RIO wf f and ready to fish.
I hope to give it a work out on Oregon's, East Lake over the fourth.