The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default 7.5' 3wt Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations on a shorter (7.5') 3wt to use on smaller mountain streams chasing brookies and cutts that can also double as a sunfish rod for here at home in Texas. I would like it to be a 4 piece as I would like to use it on day hikes. I currently have med-fast to fast action rods in other weights (BIIX, Helios and Scott A3). While I like high end rods, I am not looking to break the bank with this 3wt. It will most likely get the least use out of my arsenal as I only get to the mountains a time or two a year and the wind here is normally too much for using a 3wt on a daily basis. I would like to hear what you guys recommend.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7.5' 3wt Recommendations

I threw a few soft hackles last weekend with my girlfriend's Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 weight. If you can match your stroked to the medium action, you may like this rod. My girlfriend prefers medium to medium-fast action rods. She is in love with her rod.

I spent about 10 minutes with her rod. Once I adjusted my timing, I was able to lay down some soft presentations. I also caught a couple of dinky trout (8 inchers). Fighting those dinky fish with that light of a rod was fun.

Best of all, you can get the rod for $129 or an outfit with a Redington Drift reel and Rio Mainstream line and backing for $279.

I have not thrown dry flies yet. I plan on doing a full review of that rod, once she lets me use it again. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

MP
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

No recommendations from me--more a little 'advise'...

If you have the means, don't 'skimp' on a rod because 'it will see the least amount of use'.

While a 3 wt. is tough(ish) in the wind, you'll find that they are just so darned fun!

I actually have a 1 wt. that never sees the water anymore-- ever since I picked up my 3 wt (a cabelas three forks, 7'6")-- while it is nothing special, it doesn't have the downsides that my 1 wt. does (did), and it is a boat load of fun with just about any fish n the other end.

I just want to express that I was on your page about 'not much use', and it is fast becoming my go to rig for sunnies and LM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to read your thoughts on the Redington CT, Dennis. Go fishing...

While I haven't fished it, the St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3wt seemed like a true 3wt when I wiggled at the shop. It's a bit longer than you mentioned, but nothing's perfect.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite all-around 7'6' 3 wt. is my Sage ZXL. I use it for small creek fishing (mostly Brookies) all the time. It's a 4 piece rod, so it breaks down into a small rod tube that I have no trouble sticking into my backpack for a good walk up into a headwaters section. Action is medium-fast; with the emphasis on medium. Quality is very good.

Pocono
Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I'm very happpy with my TFO pro series 7.5ft 3wt. You'll notice I tout TFO products thoughout and that's because I'm a big fan. They are made over seas but for that price point, pretty much everything is. For what you're paying, you're getting a great deal.

Also maybe wait for Justin to get the allen fly rods out. I bought a reel recently and it looks awesome. Honestly, not sure how he can afford to sell them so cheap.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 AM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road

I am getting in to fly fishing, and have a lot of small rivers to fish smallmouth. What size set up would suite me?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I threw a few soft hackles last weekend with my girlfriend's Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 weight. If you can match your stroked to the medium action, you may like this rod. My girlfriend prefers medium to medium-fast action rods. She is in love with her rod.

I spent about 10 minutes with her rod. Once I adjusted my timing, I was able to lay down some soft presentations. I also caught a couple of dinky trout (8 inchers). Fighting those dinky fish with that light of a rod was fun.

Best of all, you can get the rod for $129 or an outfit with a Redington Drift reel and Rio Mainstream line and backing for $279.

I have not thrown dry flies yet. I plan on doing a full review of that rod, once she lets me use it again. I'd like to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

MP
I'd also recommend the CT. I've been fishing the 8.5' 5wt and like it quite alot. I think the fact that it comes with a great tube at that low price is another important point. My review- Redington CT (Classic Trout)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Just my opinion, but 7'6" still might be a bit long for small stream fishing. I fish either a 6'6" or a 7' 3wt. The 7' is my backup.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

ozark,

I'd say a 6wt would do you just nicely.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd also recommend the CT. I've been fishing the 8.5' 5wt and like it quite alot. I think the fact that it comes with a great tube at that low price is another important point. My review- Redington CT (Classic Trout)
Hi Cliff,
I hope you know I value your opinion and review of the Redington CT. I just want to hear what Dennis has to say about the smaller version.