The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Fly Fishing holydays for an European guy.

Hi guys !!

I'm looking for a 2012 fishing trip, and for sure USA is one of my favorite destination, but I got a biiigg question..... Where !!???

I saw the Salmon River (NY) for big steelies, west US for epic streams and big rainbows on dry fly, or Noth Georgia !! the fishing look great (Mountaintown Creek).

For my first trip, I watch my money.... then I'd like more eastern destinations, for mai, june or july.

Thanx for your help !!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing holydays for an European guy.

Evey year around the beginning of June we run into a bunch of guys from the UK over striper fishing at Cape Cod.
I think originally many of them came over on a tour hosted by UKSALTWATERFLIES.COM but now travel on their own.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanx Rip Tide , but I'm looking for freshwater destinations.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Pick a target:

Steelhead? Trout? Bass?

Maybe a general area:

Northeast, SouthEast, North Central, South Central, etc..

And a month

That'll start to narrow it down
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Yes you're right.... well,my target is steelheads or large trouts (on streams), with nymph, streamers or better, dry fly.

For the region, I've seen goods rivers on Noth of Georgia, and of course, Erie and Ontario's lake tributaries. (spring fishing)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks

I'd have to say Montana or Northern Michigan if I were coming across the pond. If you're looking for steelies stay away from the salmon river in new york, the fish are nice, but its so packed up there, the west side of michigan has many more fish per angler and there are places you can get away form the crowds, as well as a large number of quality guides to get you on the fish. But if you REALLY want steelies, head out to the pacific northwest.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

my grandfather has a house near wild cat creek in north Georgia It has great fishing. Also if you decide on Georgia send me a pm and I can hook you up with a guide friend of mine they pull BIIG trout out of the streams up there. For bass come on out to Texas and Lake Fork, Lake Falcon both lakes pull 13 pound bass out on a regular basis. If you go to Lake Fork I also know of a few guides.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Yes you're right.... well,my target is steelheads or large trouts (on streams), with nymph, streamers or better, dry fly.
Well, then you want to come out west to the Pacific NW. Oregon, Washington both host great Steelhead runs. If you want truely epic steelhead fishing, head up into British Columbia on the Dean river, Skeena, etc.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Steelhead

The Skeena watershed would be high on my list. Never been there, but it's definitely a must fish destination for me

I've fished a lot for them in Northern California, easy access for the most part, but smaller fish. It would probably be a cheaper trip

Spring sounds too late though. Can you narrow down to a month?

I'm thinking March, is about as late as you can go reliably for Steelies..

Trout... coming this far.. I'd rethink the spring.. and at least out here.. think about July?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhicks View Post
I'd have to say Montana or Northern Michigan if I were coming across the pond. If you're looking for steelies stay away from the salmon river in new york, the fish are nice, but its so packed up there, the west side of michigan has many more fish per angler and there are places you can get away form the crowds, as well as a large number of quality guides to get you on the fish. But if you REALLY want steelies, head out to the pacific northwest.
Thanx for answer, When I saw how crowded is the Salmon river, it's scare me... Definetly, west coast is a must.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
my grandfather has a house near wild cat creek in north Georgia It has great fishing. Also if you decide on Georgia send me a pm and I can hook you up with a guide friend of mine they pull BIIG trout out of the streams up there. For bass come on out to Texas and Lake Fork, Lake Falcon both lakes pull 13 pound bass out on a regular basis. If you go to Lake Fork I also know of a few guides.
Hi !! Waoo songs great !! I saw videos and it s realy goods big fish on hoppers and stuff like that.... like in NZ !! Thancks, if I plan go there, I'll let you know

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Steelhead

The Skeena watershed would be high on my list. Never been there, but it's definitely a must fish destination for me

I've fished a lot for them in Northern California, easy access for the most part, but smaller fish. It would probably be a cheaper trip

Spring sounds too late though. Can you narrow down to a month?

I'm thinking March, is about as late as you can go reliably for Steelies..

Trout... coming this far.. I'd rethink the spring.. and at least out here.. think about July?
Yes I know, well, I'll plan an other fishing trip only for steelheads (maybe en 2013?) and then, I'll thinck about Pacific Coast. Oregon is best???