The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Ever Wished You Had A Boat...........Here's one For Everyone;

Some large streams an most rivers are more easily fished if you have a boat. I've never enjoyed fishing from a boat but have owned an assortment of canoes', drift boat, pontoon boats & rafts over the years. The boats have served as the means to explore the waters not the way to fish them. I love prowling the rivers using either my pontoon boat while floating down or the tunnel hull river boat when traveling upstream. Nothing beats being able to traverse miles of water and to be able to select the prime fishing opportunities along the way.

When I went to my first Sportsman's Show here in Alaska I saw plenty of things that were not the norm back in Pennsylvania or any other of the states I had resided in. One of the more notable items was the Mokai motorized kayak. if you've never seen one this may sound silly or perhaps like a strange novelty item but here they are becoming common. I was surprised to learn that they are manufactured in Newburgh NY. and not Alaska because this is the only place I've ever seen them in use. I'll give you a quick description and tell you what I know about them along with a couple pictures and if this sounds like something you could use you may want to check them out.

Three weeks ago I was fishing what I would call back country water. Boss & I had reached the tail of a nice long run and I was making just one more cast before crossing the creek to reach a nice beach on the other side. Then I heard something coming, something motorized but not a river boat. The stream I was fishing was large enough for my 18.5 foot tunnel hull with the Honda jet out board but I figured because of the water level dropping with the cold nights it would be counter productive. You see, once the waters drop you run short of those nice wide shallows where you can scoot along over 4" of water while staying away from the deep channels where the fish are at. Running the jet over the deep stuff at 15 mph causes quite a commotion and the big wake the boat leaves will slap the shore and muddy the creek behind you as you go. I figure that these fish aren't stupid and after a big jet runs over them they'll shut down and hide. if they weren't cautious they would have been a dinner item for an eagle or river otter by now right? Anyway the sound was a fellow coming up stream in a Mokai. When he saw me fishing down he pulled over on that beach I was headed for. Boss waded over right off to do the sniffing and greeting particulars and I followed close behind.

Time for a picture;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

That's Roger and his Moaki, there is a side story about our meeting that day but I already wrote that into my bolg here on the forum so I won't repeat it here. We had quite a discussion and before we finished Roger demonstrated the versatility of this water craft and its ease of maintenance even while out on the river. They are powered by a 6 hp 4 stroke motor that can be fully removed in the field without tools. The entire propulsion unit can also be removed and serviced in the field without tools. I'm talking removing the impeller, cleaning the intake and the jet output tube, the whole shooting match without tools! As for gas mileage; he says he can run all day and never have to refill the tank. Speed; about 10 mph on still water and 6 - 7 mph on a creek like the one we were on. Let's not forget draft, always important when we talk boat. It floats and will go under porer in 4" of water. In order to put her at full throttle you need about a foot under you so that you don't suck gravel or whatever off the bottom when you throttle up. That's common with any jet so this is not strange at all. In shallow water you just ease on the juice until she is prowling right along if you don't have depth available. Now this fellow isn't as big as I am and he told me that with my size I might need the souped up model. It seems you can get these babies with a performance package if you are 225 pounds so that they will still get Er done. For the one man fishing expedition you gotta admit this looks and sounds hard to beat. He has been running his for years without problems but carries extra parts for the impeller and output tube just in case, smart.

Here are a couple more pictures of Roger and his Moaki and getting under power. You may want to visit the sales site for these. In all the pictures you can see the depth of the water he is running in.

You Don't Need a Truck!

The closing note on these things is this: we ended up all the way back down the creek at dark at the same time. After Roger had his boat loaded he drove across the bridge and pulled in to where I was loading my gear into the car. He had the Moaki stuffed into a Volvo wagon! Yep, bow up at the dash and a little of the stern sticking out the back with a bungee holding down the hatch. The only thing that would have made this more Alaskan would have been having the hatch Duct Tapped down to the rear bumper Check them out if you're curious,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-13-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Have You Ever Wished You Had A Boat But...........

Ard, I've been looking at these for a while. For the Truckee as well as the Sac......
Is the hull "rock proof."?
I think I'd need the "super" even though I'm 165.
Need to be able to pull out, and pass......
When you get one, I'll come up.
Maybe we should open an AK dealership?

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: That Mokai kayak that Roger has looks like a really good method to get upstream on some of those skinny Alaskan streams.

Larry

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Jim: There is already an AK. dealership and they do offer the 'ported & polished' Hi Pro motor for them. As for being rock proof, Alaska is a pretty rugged testing ground for whatever you have in outdoor gear whether we talk rain gear or boats. The Moaki would be impractical for me because I take Boss everywhere and especially fishing with me. The boat will haul some gear for you but a 90 pound German Shepherd is out.........

Larry: I met some guys back in 2005 who had driven these things from Whittier to Seward along the coast. The gas mileage must be incredible huh?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Hey Ard they look interesting and Iíve never seen one, Roger seems to be operating the machine while on his knees and with ear protection, is it that loud?

Rick
Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard I had noticed that kayak on the pics you posted....looks a great mean of transport for fishermen...I'm like you I don't enjoy fishing from a boat ....I want my feet on the ground
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I didn't think it was loud at all but then I was not operating it either. I think he is just cautious of protecting his hearing as I wish I would have over the years. I wear ear protection when I travel to the cabin in the boat, a Honda 4 stroke is quiet but at full throttle the droning of the motor gets to be loud.

He likes to kneel while driving it because he can better see the bottom and spot fish from the higher vantage point. I always stand at my console while I drive the river boat for the same reasons.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ard, what about a little tow-behind "Boss boat"?
I loved the thought of the coastal trip.
Could see how you could really go out on a limb with this toy.
Not that I would....
Cool that it's field stripable......
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah the traveling the coast caught my imagination years ago, that would be the way to get away from it all.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

that's a pretty sweet little boat, i like the idea of it fitting in a car.
my question would be weight. is it something you could portage around say a log jam?

casey

ARFE