The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 02:15 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default You are walking where the fish are... fishing around the rude and clueless-

Ok, I get it.... Sometimes we fish in popular locations and you have to expect to be around other anglers. Chances are slim that you will have a stretch to yourself and in some cases it will look like opening day of salmon season or one of the Missouri trout parks.

This morning I fished the upper part of Lake Taneycomo below Table Rock dam. For those that are familiar with this water let me say that I have NOTHING to do with the "outlets".

I'm downstream and I hear a splash and some dude is has waded to the middle of the riffle to stand- Hey DUDE you are STANDING where the fish are!

Then some other guy shows up and promptly gets fouled on the stream bottom. As expected he plows through the water to retrieve his snagged fly and sends every fish headed for the deep water. Hey DUDE break OFF!! I'd rather not lose chances of a big fish because you're too cheap to lose a buck fifty scud!

Finally, while fishing a flat this clown walks right through where I'm casting. He had his buddy about 10 meters behind him. I stopped the buddy and asked- "is that your friend up ahead?" to this he replied "yes". "well, he just walked right in the middle of where I am fishing, can you please walk around?" He apologized for his friend and gave me plenty of room but had I not said anything he would have followed his mate right through my water.

If you are new to this sport- PLEASE learn some on stream educate. Trout only need enough water to cover their backs, so look look and look again before you go blasting through the water. If you hook the stream bottom- congrats you're a fisherman, break the flaming fly off and retie please..

thank you, rant off....

Russell
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: You are walking where the fish are... fishing around the rude and clueless-

HAHAHA! You'd love the Erie Tribs!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: You are walking where the fish are... fishing around the rude and clueless-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
HAHAHA! You'd love the Erie Tribs!!!
Salmon River- yeah, no thanks- I have endured the Root in Wisconsin and that took a lot of scotch.....
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm new to fly fishing and even I know that you don't go bangin thru the water. Much less someones water!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM

FWIW, I just got back from trail running- I'm feeling much better now....

Last edited by russellb; 10-13-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only had rude people jump my spot while fly fishing here one time, and they did it in two boats. I kept casting to jumping Mooneye, they watched me and the fish, then promptly moved and dropped anchor right in front of me and right in the small area the Mooneye were working. I've been fly fishing up here since 98 so I guess I can live with it. I was PO'd at the time though.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I've never really had a problem with other anglers, which is surprising because I am typically expecting the worst out of everyone. It helps that most of the time I spend the first 30 minutes of my fishing time hiking back into the woods. That's in PA, I've been fortunate enough to find several places that NOONE knows about, I never see more than one other. Even on the Ausable, I never seem to have trouble; probably because I'm not averse to driving 15 miles down the mason tract to get some peace and quiet.

I lived in Springfield Russell, and I feel your pain. It is very hard to get away with your fly rod there. I've also been to your trout parks...not my thing at all. Too bad you dont' have hike in brookie waters out there, that would cure your frustrations. Id rather catch half the fish, half the size, than come home with stories about knuckleheads that raised my blood pressure while I was trying to relax.

I think that alot of people generally walk around all day without having one conscientious thought in their head. When was the last time you heard a "yes sir, or mam", or "please, thank you very much?" Alot of people walk through life thinking that we are all visitors in THEIR world.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 10-15-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I know how you feel,I call it "Acting Before Engaging The Brain". I know guys who have a short fuse who have had heated arguements over these issues.
Even though a friend calls me the Poacher because I try to have my Reels as silent running as possibly,mostly by buying Reels with low noise drags,the reason being back in the 70s & 80s there were a couple of guys who were notorious,if they heard a Reel scream,next thing you knew they would virtually be standing close by casting where you would be Fishing.
Another guy who used to bait fish would throw a large bunch of worms with a great Lead Weight in the area you would be fishing & end up catching your Line or scareing everything around.
If you happened to moove these guys would follow,they would stick to you like a magnet,I suppose they meant well as they were good blokes,however they didn't think of anyone else when they were fishing.
Most people these days are good,all the young people I meet are polite(whilst Fishing).
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Some people are just inconsiderate. The river I fish has rafters on occassion. Most are courteous enough just to float thru without any paddling or splashing.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Some people are just inconsiderate. The river I fish has rafters on occassion. Most are courteous enough just to float thru without any paddling or splashing.
A trick I learned while spin fishing for trout on the Mountain Fork in Oklahoma below re-regulation dam. Watch the rocks the kayaks and canoes bump into going downstream. They knock bugs off the rocks and the trout will follow behind the boats sucking up these bugs. Picked up some nice ones casting right behind the boats...

Dave