The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: leader question?

ya thnx that chart really did make it alot easier. so will a big fish like a 24 inch steelhead snap a 5/6 rod like nothing or will the line just snap easy?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
ya thnx that chart really did make it alot easier. so will a big fish like a 24 inch steelhead snap a 5/6 rod like nothing or will the line just snap easy?
I dont know if they will snap your rod but you will have to play them longer and you will have a harder time casting large flies. Don't try to "horse" them or you will break something. I would also use about a 3x tippet to 0X tippet so you can hopefully put enough pressure that you won't loose all your backing. Just a few idears.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ok thnx. just always wondered why people said to use the 8wt instead. all you guys are alot of help! I was at another forum and noone would even answer anything lol. I always try to search 1st too but sometimes can't find any answers. I am gonna just do some pond and river fishing with this 5/6 weight rod. prolly fish poppers, nymphs, and terrestrials for bass and panfish. I'd rather get the basic idea of catching a smaller fish before I try a monster anyways or else I will prolly just end up with a broke rod or line lol. well thnx again guys I will let you know when i get to try casting and stuff!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Welcome and love the username and avatar.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 PM

thanx man! lol. funny name huh. I was just thinking what name to use, something to do with fly fishing and all I could think of was Biff yelling hey Mcfly!! and giving him a noogie so the name was born. lol!!
the weather still sucks today so no trying the pole out yet! If the pole didn't act like a lightning rod I would be tempted toss on a rain coat and try it anyways lol. oh well always another day. Plus I am not fully prepared as I need the new leader, tippet and basic fly stuff. so far I got waders the pole and reel. I need more flies also maybe a vest and net would be nice . I will get out to the store asap. keep u posted!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Another pair of videos you might want look at are Lessons with Lefty and Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting. I have both of them and refer to them frequently when I cant go fishing, or practice due to inclament conditions that can cause serious bodily injury. ( I live in florida, during the summer it can rain 2-3 days a week). As far as the 24" steelhead Im at a loss. we dont have them here.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM

ok went to gander mountain today and got me a fly vest for 19 bux. its a guide series. also got 4x tippet and 2x tippet and i already have a 5 x leader and 3x and 2 x leaders. also a lil fly box. I am gonna order some flies and net online. keep u posted.