The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default leader question?

I am new to fly fishing and just wondered something. I got a martin flyrod the other day and it came with all the backing, fly line and leader. I was gonna grab up some more leaders and wondered what x to get? I have a 5/6 fly rod with 6 wt floating line. I don't know what sixe leader i have on there now. do you use a 6 x leader? or can you use any x?? also I see theres tippet you can buy. can you use any x tippet?? or do you use what weight line you have? anyone? a lil help please?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: leader question?

Hi and welcome to the forum. You are in need of a basic book on fly fishing. The X is the size of the tippet or end of the leader where you tie on the fly. The end of the leader that ties to the line is much larger (diameter) than the tippet. The size of the fly you are fishing helps determines the size of the tippet. The smaller the size of the tippet the lighter the pound test it is. The higher the tipper size (8X), the smaller the tippet is in diameter and pound test.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanx I get it now. Awesome So depending on my fly size you can use the chart . Ok so I just need a get couple different size tippets depending on the flies I wanna use.I need to get some leaders also just incase they happen to break off. I Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can go try this pole out. its just a cheap martin combo I paid around 20 some bux for. Actually pretty nice quality for the price (it was on sale) I just wanted to try fly fishing but not spend a fortune. But if I like it I will invest in a better setup. thnx again for the help!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
thanx I get it now. Awesome So depending on my fly size you can use the chart . Ok so I just need a get couple different size tippets depending on the flies I wanna use.I need to get some leaders also just incase they happen to break off. I Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can go try this pole out. its just a cheap martin combo I paid around 20 some bux for. Actually pretty nice quality for the price (it was on sale) I just wanted to try fly fishing but not spend a fortune. But if I like it I will invest in a better setup. thnx again for the help!
You need to practice before you go fishing. Casting takes a certain amount of knowledge and some practice to get your timing down. When you practice use a leader and a fly with the hook cut off at the bend. If you try to just go fishing you might get discouraged if you have problems.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

George,

Like any sport practice helps you establish a "feel" for the sport. It is very easy to form bad habits in casting. there some really great teaching books and videos on the market to help you get your timing down and learn how to tighten up your loops and make some common casts. Try to practice as often as possible. I have found that if you tie a peice of colored yarn or a fly with the hook cut at the bend to your tippet will help you see the direction your line is traveling. Good luck and welcome to the most addicting sport on the planet.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Thnx for the warm welcome guys!! I don't know anyone who fly fishes so noone can really show me the ropes. But I have been reading up online and rented a few fly fishing casting videos from the library. I understand the cast is the most important thing to learn. I have watched the guy and he shows the 10 to 2 casting stance also he shows how to cast if trees are in the way with a short tight cast. I know you have to practice. just my yard is so small and I figured the best place is where I fish since its open and noone is around so i don't look like a dummy. trust me I will not get discouraged as I seem to be already hooked on this even tho i never even casted once! I even dream fly fishing! I just need some space to cast. also the white suckers are spawing in the river and i figure why not cast into the riffles with 50 sucker fish (carp) and try to learn casting. I am not one to not catch something and quit. I always have my pole in the water! plus I am always up for a challenge. can't wait to learn this. I believe I can do this. maybe me and my cousin can cast behind his house its more open there. I have another casting video to watch later also
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM

oh ya the 2 videos i have got so far are doug swishers basic casting and scientific anglers fly fishing made easy.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Welcome George!

Where are you located? What type of water and species do you plan to target?

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM

I live in ohio right by lake erie. I target walleye and perch usually on my boat with erie dearies and a spin cast reel. but I just started river fishing 2 months ago and wanna target steelhead. I just used a spinner bait at 1st and caught one steelhead. I see alot of guys flyfishing and they catch alot more than me. So i decided to ry it out But I caught on late as the steelhead are leaving now but I wanna practice on bass and bluegills and maybe even sucker fish since they are big like the steelhead.. I read somewhere that a 5/6 rod isn't too good for steelhead tho and to get a 8 wt instead.. I will use this 5/6 wt for the summer and then upgrade to a better 8 wt rod in the fall when the steelhead come back and if I can learn how to fish and catch stuff using this flyrod I got now.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you are off to a good start, and are in a fine spot to enjoy some good flyfishing. An 8 wt would definitly be a good way to go for steelhead.

Frank thanks for posting up that chart. that covers about 6 paragraphs of explanation text and is bound to be easier to understand too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.