The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Trout fishermen planning salt water trip

Hi all,

I made a short video in honor of three of my buddies, all mid sixties, who have been fishing fresh water for years in New England. Like me, they have grown complacent, and have forgotten that age happens when we least expect it.

They came down this year to throw flies at big tarpon, and were in for a rude awakening. One lasted two hours with a 12 wt, and spent the following 2 days on ibuprophen and ice and heat packs. The other two gave up and used spinning gear.

The same thing happened to me when I first got back down here, finally, for good. It gave me a big scare - the thought of being too old to throw a heavy rod.

All it took was isometric exercises done for 10 seconds throughout the day whenever I thought of it. That was after a 3 week layoff with ibuprophen for several days (after breaking out the old 12 wt) so that I could hold up my coffee cup.

If any here are planning throwing a heavy line and are used to trout rods, I would highly recommend exercising and practicing with heavy flies for a couple of months before a planned trip.

With isometrics, all that is required is two arms. With the rod arm bent 90 degrees at the elbow, and a fist made such as you would use holding a rod, place the line hand over the top of the rod hand and pull back with the rod arm as hard as you can for 10 seconds.

This simultaneously strengthens the hauling muscles as well. It is good to do exercises like this immediately before eating, as the carbs and protein will quickly be available to build new muscle rather than tear down what's already there.

The video shows the muscles that will get amazingly painfull from the backcast if one is not used to heavy rods and lines.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/Trout_Tarpon868.wmv

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-25-2010, 04:06 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trout fishermen planning salt water trip

Thanks for the tip! I am planning on using an 8 wt. rod for bonefish here soon! I typically use a 6 wt, while it is not a 12 wt it will take some getting used to for sure!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a premium 8wt last year, but haven't cast it yet. I injured my right shoulder in a bicycle race back in 2002, and have had chronic pain ever since. As much as I would like to go after saltwater fish, casting a 6wt increases the regular pain level in my shoulder. I've found that using an 8'6" 4wt with a double haul handles 99% of the fishing I do, and is painless for me. Bummer...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I ended up with tennis elbow after a full day on the river following a long winter layoff a few years ago. Sore muscles went away in a day but the pain in my elbow was like I'd driven a nail thru it. I couldn't lift a jug of milk with my right arm. My doc said "Learn to cast left handed" !!
Same cure, though: Ibuprophen, ice, lay off it, stretching.
Got a dose in the left arm more recently. It never really got better, even with PT, shots etc. Turned into arthritis and now I can't straighten that arm completely. Good thing I didn't learn to cast left handed!!
Seriously, stretch and work up the muscles and joints before you start with the heavy rod and DON"T OVER DO IT!
Those pains are your body telling you you are having too much fun. They come back to haunt you later in life!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

WJC , I can relate to the age thing gaining on us. I have been pitching jigs and stuff for years. Now when I take my son on the skiff Red fishing I last about 4 hours. And I am tired.Then I just guide him around. I am just starting to try the Fly fishing thing for inshore S/W. I know that with the required attention to my casting that hopefully I can last for at least a few hours. Thank God my son has my Patience.
Thanks for the heads up on the link.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

WJC,
I fully agree with you on the topic. I sometimes host fishing trips to Mexico, and it is common to see some of my clients unprepared to fish the big sticks.

MP