The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
I see your interested in the 4 wt. A 4wt makes a great trout rod as long as your not fishing very windy conditions. Last Sat. I fished my 4wt all day while fishing the caddis hatch on the Arkansas River (Cliff, I did think about ya) and had a blast with it. My biggest fish landed was a 15 1/2 inch rainbow. it handled it very well and did I say it was a blast?

I find the internet to be one of the best resources for info on bugs before planning a trip to new waters. From there you should beable to put together a good assortment that will work. Here are a few patterns that seem to work all over.

Dries:
Ant patterns
Caddis patterns
Royal trudes
Parachute Adams
Adams
Hoppers

Nymphs:
Bead Head Phesent tails (Tie some olive ones too)
water boatmans (under water beetle)
San Juan worms
various mayfly nymphs
Prince nymphs

Steamers:
Wooly bugger (Black, olive, brown)
Zonkers
muddler minnows

I hope this helps.

Only thing I want to add to what you said is try RED Pheasant Tails with a brass bead head and Red wire rib. I made mine flash backs, but I swear, they are a one cast fly. Everytime I threw this thing out in a size 16 or 18, fish on.
The largest Trout I have caught with my 4wt boo in a river with a good current was a 21" brown. Took awhile but I got him out of the current and to the slow water fairly quick, so he wasn't to pooped to swim.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Yea the wind can hinder the cast, I sometimes have problems with my 7wt. on breezy days. Im just gonna have to get one and practice, practice, practice.

My only fear is that Im so used to throwing a 7,8,or 9 that I will over power the rod and make my cast look like I am unfolding a lawn chair.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
Yea the wind can hinder the cast, I sometimes have problems with my 7wt. on breezy days. Im just gonna have to get one and practice, practice, practice.

My only fear is that Im so used to throwing a 7,8,or 9 that I will over power the rod and make my cast look like I am unfolding a lawn chair.

It will be a little different. Like you said a little practise. In the summers I fish the stillwaters with my 6wt's then rivers with the 4. The one thing that has helped me is that all the rod have the same flex. For me it is a slower action, like my Zero is a mid and I use a 6wt McFarland glass whish is very similar to a boo.
It will be harder going from the 4 to the 7 I think LOL
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM

well now that we have the rod thing figured out, lets talk reels. Im thinkin Bauer or J.Ryall any Suggestions
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 AM

Both are killer. I want to add a new kid on the block with Vosseler reels. They are light weight and strong.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM

yea, you suckered me into checking them out on the web last night when I was looking at the pictures of your vise. They offer a bit of information about the weights ( ounces ) of the reels and line capacity. If you get one of their reels let me know what you think.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like Lamson/Waterworks reels the best with Ross being a close second. Someone posted that Cabela's is running some screamin deals on Lamson Litespeed's and Velocity's here lately. I would snap one up in a heart beat at the price they mentioned. If they're out, somebody else is likely to have them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM

I looked at the Ross Momentum before I bought my Orvis Battenkill L/A reel. what sold me was the capacity of 30 lb. backing, I got a little over 150 yds. Im sure that if I went to 20 lb. I could have gotten over 200 yds. It balances out my GLX beutifully. Whats your opinion on Islander Reels?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Only thing I want to add to what you said is try RED Pheasant Tails with a brass bead head and Red wire rib. I made mine flash backs, but I swear, they are a one cast fly. Everytime I threw this thing out in a size 16 or 18, fish on.
The largest Trout I have caught with my 4wt boo in a river with a good current was a 21" brown. Took awhile but I got him out of the current and to the slow water fairly quick, so he wasn't to pooped to swim.

Hey Joni,
Thanks for sharing that one, it is a new one to me and it sounds good. I'll definitly tie up some of those to add to the arsenal.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I recall, Islander's are pretty similar to Old Florida reels, they just cost a good bit more. I'd rather spend my dollars on an Old Florida.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.