The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 AM

indieangler is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Reel Capacity and Fly Line Backing

I've got a few questions about understanding fly line capacity.

I recently purchased a Vosseler RC2 L fly reel that says: Line class up to WF 4 + 30m. I'm assuming that means it can hold up to a 4 weight line in addition to 30m of backing? What if I put a 6 weight line on the reel (I'm not going to, just curious).........would that just mean the line would take up more space on the spool, leaving less room for backing?

I also have a few questions about fly line backing. I've seen several different types of backing, such as dacron backing, micro backing, braided backing, hollow braided backing, etc. Can anyone explain the differences in types of backing to me and make any recommendations about what generally works best (or what is easiest to rig to the fly line)?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Reel Capacity and Fly Line Backing

You are correct in your assumption that putting a larger fly line on htere than they recommend will reduce capacity for backing. There's also a good chance that the reel will be too light to balance a 6wt rod.

There are basically 2 good options for fly line backing: Dacron-type polyester and Gel Spun Polyethylene. The first is often marketed as Micron or braided backing, and I suppose could be called hollow as well. The latter is also known as GSP, Spider-Wire, or any of the other varieties of "super-lines" out there.

Both are prized as fly line backing because they have negligible stretch or memory. Dacron is cheaper, easier to tie knots with, won't dig into itself, and unlike GSP, won't slice flesh in high-intensity situations. GSP is much thinner, stretches even less, and will allow absolute maximum backing capacity on a given reel.

Overall, I strongly suggest going with standard braided polyester backing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is the same reel I am getting. It is a 4wt. personally I wouldn't even think of putting anything larger. That is one of the reasons I want that reel. That and the classic look. I want it for my 4wt Boo.
I on the other hand fully inten to put Gel Spun on mine, because there isn't that much room for backing on this small delicate reel, but that is just me.
What color did you get? I am leaning towards the black for a classic look or the gold because my harware looks brass.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM

indieangler is on a distinguished road

Oh go with the black for sure, it's beautiful, in my opinion (mine's black). I just got mine a few days ago and I love it (haven't actually fished it yet). It's real light, real small, and looks great. The craftsmanship appears to be what you'd expect from a high class and reputable German company. I spent several months in Germany just half a year ago and that's why the Vosseler brand caught my eye. I'm setting it up on a Sage FLi 7' #3 and it looks perfect.

I wasn't actually considering putting a bigger line on it, I was just using that for an example. On my reel, I rigged on an Airflo Platinum DT3F green optic line and it looks real smooth. I'm really considering having a look at the Vosseler DC series reels too. Expensive addiction, but well worth it. =)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I rarely use the stated capacity to determine how much backing to put on a new reel. I put the fly line on first (backward) then tie on the backing and spool it up until the spool is as full as I want it. Then I cut the backing from it's spool, wind the backing onto an old reel till I get to the fly line. I cut off the backing from the fly line, unwind the flyline onto an empty spool, then put the cut-to-size backing oneo the new reel. Then Put on the flyline and it's perfect.

Takes a while, but it's a great way to daydream of using the new reel!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Jakeway....DUDE you got way to much time on your hands LOL.
I hear you however, that is the ultimate way for sure.