The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trout net and vest d ring question

I started leaving my net home this year... Ive lost more big fish trying to use a net. To land a big fish with a small hook, its usually best to keep your rod angle low, holding to the side to get some flex in the rod, if its been hooked from shore.. Hooking a fish from a boat is gennerally different, and as your pulling up on the fish it hooks that way and your consistently pulling up on it... But from the bank youll be better off leading the fish to a shallow area, bringing it up into several inches of water on its side and take the hook out, turn it around and get its gills pumped with fresh water and release when its ready... Pulling up on the fish when close to shore, with your rod bent in a u shape it is a very easy to loose a big fish as your pulling at a different angle from your hookset. .. Im sure others have learned how to do it with a net in a manner that doesnt cause lost fish.. dave
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. When standing on a shore it is easier without the net (basically because here it is too shallow to get a net under a fish). If you are in the middle of a river and the current prevents you from moving around much a net is nice as is stillwater or from a boat.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

When wading im usually up to waist in water, and where I fish most of the time the fish rarely rise... They (rainbows) average 3-4 pounds and im hooking them usually this time of year and later in the summer with 14s 16s, 18s, and sometimes 20s.. I always back up to the bank so i can move downstream quickly if necessary.. As i said, ive found that netting a fish will put the wrong hook angle on a big fish pulling the hook out of its mouth... Im usually up on the bank 10 -20 feet back to keep rod angle almost level with the water so if they roll, they still stay hooked... We have what we call the Missouri river roll, and you can feel the fins popping the line when they turn over and over if they get wrapped up in the line.... I dont know if it happens to other areas or not.... If you want to see some the of the big fish im talking about, ill try to post a few here if you want... dave..
Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
I know it was designed to work on a vest, but I have it on my Kayak. I've also found that the magnet is strong enough to hold my net on a metal surface such as a dock railing, etc.

It comes with the hardware to attach it to a small dia metal net but I'd just use a plastic zip tie for larger nets. Don't try to attach it to the elastic, it'll be a knuckle buster when it pulls free!
Your suggestion of using a plastic cable tie for attaching the magnetic net holder to the net itself is a great idea. I've been fumbling around with a Jerry-rigged attachment to my collapsible net, but this is certainly the way to go. Like all great ideas, it seems obvious, but only in hindsight. Thanks for sharing it.