The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default trout net and vest d ring question

I just bought a fly fishing vest and it had 3 d rings. I see guys around here with a net on the back d ring but every net I see has a elastic cord? how do you get a net that attaches to your d ring? what do you guys use for your clip?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
troutman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trout net and vest d ring question

I have my net attached to the back D ring. I just run the cord through the ring and then stretch it over the net. I don't use a clip or anything. Hope this helps.
Aaron
Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thats a good idea! thnx again I was just trying to think of a real easy way to grab it while you are still fighting the fish and not fumble around forever trying to unhook it.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I got one of those net magnets. On my net, one end is connected with a ring. (Same thing as a key chain ring) and on the vest side, I bought a plastic clip from a craft store, a piece of strap and sewed it on. I'll try to take a picture tonight and post it for you.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

Cabela's -- Tight Line Magnetic Net Release

I bought one of these net magnets. Works very well. You just get the magnets with a couple of inches of each other and they go back together.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:39 PM

thnx i will have to grab one of those up!! thnx guys!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

I know it was designed to work on a vest, but I have it on my Kayak. I've also found that the magnet is strong enough to hold my net on a metal surface such as a dock railing, etc.

It comes with the hardware to attach it to a small dia metal net but I'd just use a plastic zip tie for larger nets. Don't try to attach it to the elastic, it'll be a knuckle buster when it pulls free!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I too use the magnetic one but I have a stretch cord (bungie) connected to both ends. It acts like a leash. When I land a fish I can let go of the net and not worry about it drifting away.
I also bought a WJ bamboo net that gives me one other option. It has a hook built into the handle (part of the handle, like the handle was bent over) so I can clip it to a belt.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM

thanks for all the help everyone! I am online now checking them out

Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Here is the picture of mine. Like Joni said about the cord. If I didn't have it on mine, that net would have been long gone. The one I have is from Orvis. I added the D ring, clip, and strap holding them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg netholder (Small).JPG (32.2 KB, 26 views)

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*