The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   I'd really like to meet this guy Murphy.... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/197030-id-really-like-meet-guy-murphy.html)

wt bash 10-21-2011 10:54 PM

I'd really like to meet this guy Murphy....

and tell him what I think of his laws!!! Go out the other day chasing pellet head bows, having a good time, see the usual folks down there. I'm catching a few fish having fun then they start rising, I left the dries at home, no biggie a soft hackle in the film will work fine. Catch a few more all is well but all day my right boot feels loose. Re-tie after re-tie and still the same then I notice a different color protruding from the toe area, yeah you guessed it its the brown neoprene of my stocking foot!!! So after a few miserable days in a damp spider filled crawl space hanging insulation I made enough to, stock up on materials, try some new gear out, and have the gas money to fish all next week, all of that GONE in one mouse click. Murphy got me a new pair of boots but they wont be here for another week, I did make it out for a kamikazi hour and a half of wet wading this afternoon and scored a few in high, off colored, COLD water. Thank you Murphy...

madjoni 10-22-2011 04:24 AM

Re: I'd really like to meet this guy Murphy....

About Murphy and his laws I can tell you only if by any chance I could meet that guy face to face,let say that one of us would not be coming home..ever:D:D:D

bigtel 10-22-2011 07:31 AM

we have another name for it in uk lol

terry

littledavid123 10-22-2011 08:52 AM

Good ol Murphy...Always best to distract him with the wife's projects then sneak out of the house without him. Sure, you have to listen to her sob story when you get home, but I think overall it's worth it. Also found it best not to show to much elation about your day on the water.

Dave

wishiniwerfishin 10-22-2011 11:27 AM

All too true Dave..... If I show I had too much fun when I get home, it's always harder to get out the next time. Luckily all three of my boats are not stored at home and my shop is behind a locked gate..... Honey, I'm heading to the shop for a few hrs, maybe more........ That excuse has got me on the water more than a few times. I just have to sneak my gear out before she gets up.

Guest1 10-22-2011 11:57 AM

Funny, I just mentioned Murphy's law on here the other day. I also mentioned 'O'toole's commentary' on Murphy's Law, "Murphy was an optimist." It seems the Irish are experts in this type of thing. For example, 'Flannigan's finagling factor", which is the number multlipied by the number you got, gives you the number you should have got. I'm also a subscriber to 'Murphy's law of selective gravity', which states " Any small object dropped, will gravitate to the nearest small hole from which it can't be retrieved."

lthrnk03 10-22-2011 10:53 PM

I am a life time card carrying member of the Order of Murphy. I have had some choice words for him on more than one occasion! :D

fredaevans 10-23-2011 03:49 PM

Murphy's a wooze; I like Parkinson's Corollary to Murphy's Law: (If it can go wrong, it will.)

''Murphy has a great tendency to underestimate.''

wt bash 10-23-2011 11:36 PM

I get it now Flannigan finagled my paycheck, Murphy decided how it'll get spent and we all get stuffed at Finnegan's Wake!

auriemma 10-24-2011 01:38 PM

Don't get mad at Murphy... he tells it like it is. We just witness the truth of his laws.

He is also why my first Beagle was named Murphy. Anything that can go wrong...