The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 PM

thechief is on a distinguished road
Default fly questions

im back again i have these flies and i just want to know what species these would be best for.. if you want more pictures just let me know thanks guys!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly questions

All look like that they will catch trout. I'm sure that in the right conditions you could get panfish and bass with them.

That fly on the bottom right of the last photo is a jig. In its coloration, it can be dead drifted as a crawdad pattern.

Dennis
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
All look like that they will catch trout. I'm sure that in the right conditions you could get panfish and bass with them.

That fly on the bottom right of the last photo is a jig. In its coloration, it can be dead drifted as a crawdad pattern.

Dennis
thanks a lot! i was planning to take them to my local pond and try and get some panfish with them so i hope that works out thanks again btw can anyone tell me what the technique for catching panfish is this will be my first time ever fly fishing i got the cast down i think so i would love to catch some fish now
Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Panfish are usually very forgiving when it comes to fishing things properly. That said, the black fly in your pictures looks similar to a small wooly bugger (does it have another name?) and can be fished sub-surface to imitate a small fish, leech, or something similar. So you can cast it out and strip it back to you at various speeds of retrieve.

The other three on the white pad look like dries so you'd cast them out over the fish to imitate insects that have landed on the water. The hackle on the middle two looks sparse so I wonder how well they will float. If they sink the panfish might take them anyways.

It could be good to get some foam flies and small poppers. Panfish and bass love them and they float forever. Tons of places carry them.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Panfish are usually very forgiving when it comes to fishing things properly. That said, the black fly in your pictures looks similar to a small wooly bugger (does it have another name?) and can be fished sub-surface to imitate a small fish, leech, or something similar. So you can cast it out and strip it back to you at various speeds of retrieve.

The other three on the white pad look like dries so you'd cast them out over the fish to imitate insects that have landed on the water. The hackle on the middle two looks sparse so I wonder how well they will float. If they sink the panfish might take them anyways.

It could be good to get some foam flies and small poppers. Panfish and bass love them and they float forever. Tons of places carry them.
thanks alot great info! i will try the woly bugger and give all of them a try bassically and ill post how i do most likely going tomorrow and yeah these are just ones that came in the pakage once i start getting more into it im sure you will see me posting a thread about must have flys hahah thanks again-Talmadge
Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

The black one is a wooly worm.One of the first flies I was taught to tie last year before my excellent instructor committed suicide. Noone saw it coming. Anyone out there struggling please talk to somebody; it leaves a gaping hole in everyone left behind.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 AM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough

in uk definatley catch trout
Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechief View Post
im back again i have these flies and i just want to know what species these would be best for.. if you want more pictures just let me know thanks guys!

L-R Sedge or Caddis Dry, Royal Coachman dry, Sedge or Caddis Dry, Woolly Bugger Wet Lure, Bottom Crawdad Jig also works for catfish believe it or not. Dries for top of water fish, others for sub-surface and they,ll All take trout and panfish plus some coarse fish such as chubb and carp(the caddis patterns mainly).
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Top picture left to right;

1.) Wooly WORM (not bugger),

2.) I can't place this but I know I've seen something like it. I think some people are missing the small feather wings tied forward.

3.) Royal Coachman

4.) IDK

5.) Marabou Jig

Last edited by mudbug; 10-23-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
2.) I can't place this but I know I've seen something like it. I think some people are missing the small feather wings tied forward.

crane fly?

ARFE