The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 AM

thechief is on a distinguished road
Default line questions

me again with another question.. can you just use regular mono for the leader, like i have alot of spools of mono of all different sizes and i was wondering if i could just use that instead of buying new leaders or tippet, cant i just use the same line i used for the leader for tippet or a different weight line as tippet if i wanted? im just confused about this can some one explain this to me please thank you -Talmadge p.s sorry if it is confusing i wasnt sure how to put my thoughts into words haha ask if you need me to elaborate more
Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: line questions

Yes you can. That's what I do.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 AM

thechief is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yes you can. That's what I do.
great thanks alot i was looking at some of the prices for leaders and tippets and i just didnt understand if there was a difference between them thanks again now i dont have to worry about dropping 30 bucks into leaders and tippets
Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechief View Post
great thanks alot i was looking at some of the prices for leaders and tippets and i just didnt understand if there was a difference between them thanks again now i dont have to worry about dropping 30 bucks into leaders and tippets
In theory they turn over better and don't snag or tangle as much because it's a smooth taper not 3 different diameters knotted together. I never use them and think most of us would tell you to save your money. I tie my own leaders, however tippet material is a different story. That I do spend my hard earned money on.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use Stren Easy Cast for most of the length of my leaders. The end of my trout leaders, however, are traditional tippet material.

Randy
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

For streamers in the river I have been known to use 6 or 8 lb mono tipped with 4 or 6 lb flouro depending on where I am fishing and how big the fish are there. For drys, a furled leader with 4 lb flouro used as tippet seems to work also. Some will say you can't use flouro for drys, but, I have and it does not seem to be a problem.

d
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

A furled leader is a good way to go. A bit more initial investment, but you'll only need a few spools of tippet for most situations, or tip with your smaller diameter mono. The furled leaders turn over nice and last a long time.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey